SOS 2009 Photos

Minnesota Slim - Thanks for the information. I noticed an almost identical helmet in the pictures posted by Joe (#2,3,&4), It had the Reichsadler but it did not have the short FLUTED spike.

I have had the mystery Mecklenburg helmet for many years, but was never able to identify it (black leather trimmed in all brass - Reichsadler Wappen, short FLUTED spike, round base, officers style round visor and rear spine trim, flat chinscales, rosettes with fold over tabs, leather liner with square cut finger ends - unfortunately, it came without Kokarde/n.

I have had suggestions ranging from Colonial troops to Elsass Lothringen officials, but the Mecklenburg ID was the first positive one. Any thoughts on what the correct Kokard/Kokarden would be? I assume this is a pre 1880 helmet due to the square cut liner fingers.

Thanks again, Dan

DASH said:
I noticed an almost identical helmet in the pictures posted by Joe (#2,3,&4), It had the Reichsadler but it did not have the short FLUTED spike.
Hi Dan:

I purchased this helmet at the SOS, and you can see a picture of it
HERE.

Please feel free to add pictures of your helmet to the discussion.

Chas.

Dan,

I might be wrong but are you not talking about helmet "A" with the same wappen as Chas' and not helmet "B" from Mecklenburg?

sos2009008.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

Did anyone happen to look at the Peltmuze at the show? What did you all think? I have been trying to study up on the Officer's version, and I was curious what was seen. I can see Helmut has one, but I innately dont trust him after seeing some of his visor caps from the III Reich era.

I got to handle an unmessed with Saxon busby this summer, and now I have the bug--but the bug is frightened :)

Hello - I want to start by thanking everyone for their interest in my question about the SOS "mystery" helmet with the Reichsadler Wappen.

I would also like to apologize for my delayed answer - I went into the hospital the other day for a 4 hour procedure that turned into a mini vacation.

Joe - you are correct, I was referring to the helmet you marked "A".

Minnesota Slim , with the amount of photos and helmets, combined with my somewhat ambiguous directions, a slip was easy to make. I also look at ity this way, without your pictures, I would not have seen the helmet, and, it was nice to own a Mecklenburg helmet (my only one), if only for a short time.

Chas., your helmets and pictures are great. At first glance, my helmet would seem to be related to your Elsass-Lothringen Gendarmerie helmet. If I might, I would like to start with your helmet, and describe how mine differs, as I am unable to post a picture.

1) I believe mine is earlier, as the crown is higher, and the liner fingers are square cut. I also believe it to be a low ranking officers, of field quality. All trim is brass.

2) The sewn on side rosette reinforcement panels appear to be longer and higher (60mm high) than normal on a size 53 helmet. The rosette hole center is 36mm from the helmet bottom rim. The size"53" is marked in pencil, and is the only marking.

3) The Reichsadler Wappen on mine seems to have just a bit more detail (the mouth is pierced, the feathers, scrolls, and crown appear to finer).

4) Visor and rear spine trim is officer style.

5) The 95mm high spike, which is visible in Minnesota Slims picture, is different from any other spike I have ever seen, and is rather delicate looking when compared to the Elsass spike. From the side, the spike itself has 4 flat sides with impressed flutes. They curve inward at the bottom to form a half sphere where they flow into the base. The base, which has no pearlring, is 18mm wide at its slimmest, and 30mm wide at its widest point. The one piece spike/base has 2 small side vent holes. When viewed from the top, the spike is square in form, with gently curving sides, with each corner directly over a base mounting hole. There is no Kugel on this spike.

6) The helmet came with flat brass chinscales. The rosettes are the fold over tab type. The helmet had no Kokarden when I purchased it, but there appears to be a Kokard imprint on thr right side, approximately 52mm in size. I had assumed, if Elsass, it would take a Reich "NCO" Kokard.

Any thoughts? Dan

Hi Dan:

Sincere wishes for a speedy recovery. Though I don't have the powers of a moderator, I've "moved" the bulk of your query to the REICHSADLER discussion. If you would care to e-mail pictures of your helmet to me, I would be happy to post them for you. Just send me a PM for my e-mail.

Chas.

Chas - Thank you for your well wishes, I feel (and am) fine. As of now, this hospital thing appears to be "much ado about nothing". But doctors hate to be wrong, so I think they will continue their quest until I relent out of sheer exhaustion.

Thank you for the offer on posting pictures for me. I now have a digital camera and am working on taking pictures for email. I will take you up on your offer as soon as I can.

Meantime, there is a front view of this helmet in a previous thread in the "Latest Find" category:

"Need help with helmet ID and parts"
Tuesday, July 3, 2007, by Gangbirds77

A few coincidences here. Gangbirds77 name is Dan, as is mine. His helmet seems to duplicate mine from the front view, and his has chinscales (shown flipped back) but is also without Kokarden.

There were several interesting comments to his request for helmet identification, but none actually pinned it down.

Regards, Dan

Hi Dan:

I took a look at the 2007 thread you unearthed. To make it easier to find, this is the link:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3021

Did you look at the most recent post in the Reichsadler thread? You will find it under "Pickelhaube Discussion."

Click the following link:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4256

Or, click HERE.

Chas.

evilgrin Joe; I just about forgot to THANK YOU and James for telling Helmut Weitz what a wonderful person I am and being a good risk for payment on a check. I would have replied earlier, but as you mentioned I was on "parole" and my parole officer would'nt let me send any replys! Anyway Thanks to all who told him I was OK, I did get a great helmet [more than I wanted to spend] So I owe you all a round of beer at the next SOS! I have recently picked up a wonderful NCO Marine Infantry [See Battalion]Tschako with original field badge and parade bush and 1 shoulder board for 2nd marine infantry. Can anybody give me some history on the Marine Infantry and why they were called "Black Jaegers"? Dick

Back