SOS 2010

I have found out that the girls have already made reservations for their time in Kentucky, but due to a spelling error on the part of Jame's wife, they will not be getting a "spa" treatment, but rather a "spay" treatment. Unfortunatly, the reservation is not cancelable, and the deposit is not refundable, so I guess they will have to all go get spayed.
Gus

AQ bit of advanced warning, I do not know for sure if I am going to make it to the show this year, someone is going to have to arrange the birthday parties at the dinners.
Gus

Jerry,
It is nothing life threatening as long as Joe does not get ahold of me

Gus- not acceptable!

You will need to be there, even if Maggy has to drive the whole way

Suck it up and get to the show

James

Hey James,
I thought your computer crashed, you are not using your kid's computer are you? Part of the problem is getting Maggie to drive the whole way.
Gsu

I just got back from a cruise -- I will call you this is totally unacceptable. You need to get your priorities straight. Who the heck will make the lunch? Birthday parties are one thing but daily sustenance is another. Come on Maggie put him on a gurney and take him. Alternatively, you could just tie him to the roof of the truck.

As I am catching up with my mail I just read the policy for SOS 2010. There is a major change that I think most people will enjoy. The table operators will be required to remain open until Saturday at 3 PM. Therefore the vacancies early on Saturday should no longer be a big problem. Because of the gun show frequently you will see tables empty on Saturday and Sunday. As a result, there is a problem with people who could only come to the show on the weekend. The organizers are trying to fix that. The penalty if you do not comply starting with SOS 2011 is that you will lose your tables!! While there are over 1600 tables at SOS they are always sold out. This always happens now at the show itself so you have to renew at the show. With this new penalty if you close down early you will automatically be placed on the waiting list and will not have a table for the next year. You used to be able to mail in your table request but those days are over. If you wait a week or so they will already be sold out. So I think this is a step in the correct direction. Several years ago we all tried to mail in our request together and lost our tables as a result. It took a lot of scratching and phone calls to get back on the list after one year in exile. Thanks to Jerry Rehr and George Anderson we were able to at least have a place to stay and operate from.

So we have been without tables in the past but we have them now!!! I think this is a step in the correct direction but expect to see a lot of moaning. The problem is that the policy change came out after airline reservations and hotel reservations had been made. Janet and I will not leave until Sunday so our table will be open -- or actually the table of the Lebrassuer brothers will be open. Several years ago James graciously gave a piece of his table to a German dealer who ended up "expanding quite a bit". Now if they will only get rid of the guys who have tables selling Hawaiian shirts we would have more room for helmets. We only have a week left and I am pretty excited!

joerookery said:
As I am catching up with my mail I just read the policy for SOS 2010. There is a major change that I think most people will enjoy. The table operators will be required to remain open until Saturday at 3 PM. Therefore the vacancies early on Saturday should no longer be a big problem. Because of the gun show frequently you will see tables empty on Saturday and Sunday. As a result, there is a problem with people who could only come to the show on the weekend. The organizers are trying to fix that. The penalty if you do not comply starting with SOS 2011 is that you will lose your tables!! While there are over 1600 tables at SOS they are always sold out. This always happens now at the show itself so you have to renew at the show. With this new penalty if you close down early you will automatically be placed on the waiting list and will not have a table for the next year. You used to be able to mail in your table request but those days are over. If you wait a week or so they will already be sold out. So I think this is a step in the correct direction.

FULL Disclosure - I am not in any way an official part of the OVMS management, though I do 'strategerize' with them from time to time.

Joe, you are quite correct. Each year there are scores of forlorn souls left tapping in vain on the cold side of the window. Add to that the number of us with tables who wish to expand our empires, and this brings the actual demand for more OVMS tables to a seriously high number. Also, the convention center has blocked every attempt to expand the show (they want to maximize their use of the halls, and granting a bit of elbow room for our show seems somehow to be perceived as a poor use of the space.)

SO, with so much demand and so little supply, the OVMS is in their traditionally slow and gentle manner moving toward reclaiming tables from those who short-change the show by packing up and moving over to the gun show on Friday. Yes, their neighbors normally expand to fill the empty tables, but it really isn't fair to those who have been trying in vain to get SOS tables, and it is not good for the show. Consider it an exercise of 'eminent domain' by the club. I am glad to see that they mustered the courage to make this move!

I tried (in jest) to force a market-driven solution a few years ago. The idea was that I would pay for 50 or 100 tables for the next show while the current show was in progress, then auction them on eBay to the highest bidder in December. With a bit of good humor, the application was denied. Greg and Bill told me that their only regret was that they didn't have a big red "DENIED" stamp handy to put across it. Oh well..

Only one more week to go!!

Hey Jeff,
I agree with Joe on the table issue, and I like your ebay idea, actually, the OVMS could have probably made a bit of extra money if the club had followed through with that idea.
The only problem I have with SOS is that AGM always issues a catalogue just before the show to take any money I have saved for the show, but I fooled you this time, I had already blown my allowance before your catalogue came out:)
I do not know if I am going to make it to the show this year, but it soundl like my wife is going, so I will have her stop by and give you what I have managed to save in the past couple of weeks, afterall, either you aro Bill will eventually end up with it anyway.

Gsu

I went to see the doctor yesterday, and I asked for a note to excuse me from attending SOS this year, he called me a whiner and told me he would not give me a note, so it looks like I am going to make it to Kentucky after all. The weather looks like it will have a break, and we are going to take a shorter route than we did last year (unless we have to travel around a storm) Hopefully, there will not be 4 feet of snow in Kentucky the week of the show, Joe does not seem to like snow that much, maybe we should get a set of chains for his chair.
See you all at the show
Gus

Looking forward to it as well. I'm already watching the weather and it seems like early week will be clear before a storm that could hit late week.

As LONG as we can get there who cares if we can get home. I'm joking actually, as two years ago my flight on Saturday morning was canceled and I had to beg to get on a flight to Philadelphia. Of course this isn't the first time that happened. I'll add that the irony is that I've never actually been able to get a flight home from Philly. I usually give up and take the train (adding $100 to the experience), and last time the funny part is that about a dozen of us gave up. Getting home from Penn Station in NYC is easy enough for me. But I felt bad for the people who had to take a cab to the airport to get their cars.

And last thing I'll say... why do schools cancel the night before now? When I was a kid I had to get up and listen to the radio for school closings! I mean what the hell?

And THIS is why I cannot go or even buy a freakin button for a while.

Please take and post lost of photos everyone.

Canadian Armour

Reach out and touch someone......

Leo2.jpg

On the first round.

Back