SOS 2015 pictures

chinstrap said:
Thanks (I presume to Peter) for the photos of the blue-cloths. As he said, nothing memorable. The Victorian Royal Marines Light Infantry (to right of 5th Dragoon Guards helmet) is the most interesting, but the colour of the plate doesn't match the rest of the fittings , so I'd be immediately dubious and looking for extra holes. Same sort of red flag as with pickelhaubes.

I can see why some of you guys travel such distances to get to this show.

Joe, it would be good if some names could be added to the photos of the people. No need to do it for Gus!

Patrick--
I didn't take the photos of those helmets. These belong to Phil and Dan Bentley. I talked to them for a while but forgot to snap any photos.

PS

chinstrap said:
I would be interested to know from Peter S. ( or anybody else who know about such things) if there are many British Home Service helmets ( blue cloths) for sale at SOS. There are very few on the market on this side of the water.

Patrick
I saw about a dozen or so home service helmets at the SOS .I recall two other ranks versions, for the Queen's Royal East Surrey Regt., and the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry ( ?) a Territorial Regt. Both were in very good condition, and had some at least minor restoration done. Both were priced at $700.
Another dealer, with a very large British militaria collection, had a number of o/r's & officers home service helmets, including a rare RMLI officer helmet, priced at $2,100, I believe, but it may have been a bit higher. No bargains with that gent, for sure, but some beautiful items.

There was an other ranks Home Service Helmet that I saw as well. It had a Victorian Crown on the helmet plate but a 1912 date stamp inside. The seller said, "that happened." Sure it did in 1901 maybe but it had multiple holes. The seller wanted $500 for it, so that was the other red flag. Maybe it was worth replacing the helmet plate, but I opted not to bother.

Gents, thanks to you both for the information on the Home Service Helmets. I'd like to have seen the RMLI but it would have to be pretty special to warrant that sort of price plus import taxes to the UK!

Patrick

A series of pictures from JimTurrinetti-(right)

1sos52.jpg

1sos53.jpg

1sos54.jpg

1sos55.jpg

1sos56.jpg

1sos57.jpg

1sos58.jpg

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

A lot of nice helmets. 6K, Garde Reiter, etc. If only my rich uncle would get out of the poor house, but at least three more years of poverty ahead and probably more.

:D Ron

beautiful images!
can i ask you a big favour? Someone could help me and identify who is the seller with the filz ersatz bavarian tshako and tell me how can i contact him (email pls)? Thanks
Giorgio

Zebedeus said:
beautiful images!
can i ask you a big favour? Someone could help me and identify who is the seller with the filz ersatz bavarian tshako and tell me how can i contact him (email pls)? Thanks
Giorgio
That one was offered by Jon Kitts, I can not find my program at present, so I can not find his address. He was asking $5,000 for it if I remember correctly.

Back