SOS B Loree Filz JzP

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have never seen this before, perhaps our European members have?

IMG_2178.jpg
[/url]]

The detail on this is phenomenal, I can not see any faker coming up with this. It looked all original to me. The inside of the rear visor is even lined in leather.

Yes, I've seen that several times on German shows. The seller is dragging the thing arround for maybe 8 years or so... I held it in my hands, but don't think it's something original. Can't really explain why, but it doesn't look, feel or smell right...
That's just my two cents, but I think it's not an original piece... Please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe a period picture of something like this might help also...

Adler

Adler- consensus at the show was about 50/50 some thought it was good, others like me had doubts.

Problem is if you had it, you would always be trying to prove it is real IMO

James

The first time I saw it, I also had doubts :-k ... untill I had it in hand :-" .
If you look at the outside, it looks almost mint, yet the liner is seriously "used"... This is for me a red flag. Also the shape of the shell and the liner don't match with any human head...
In fact the whole thing looks wrongly shaped...
I also think that the Kriegsministerium would never approve a helmet like this [-X
Anyway, it's only my humble opinion...

Adler

PS: James, if one has to prove every time that an item is real, I believe it's time to start doubting about the originality of it... unless you have serious provenance...

The"explanation" problem was the first thing that Tony mentioned when I sent him the pics. My problem describing this as a fake is that I look at construction as a restorer of helmets. I looked at how this was made....the grey trim around the visors, the split brads, the segmented felt in the lobster tail etc, is perfect. Sit back and think about how to make this??? I do not know of anyone with the skills to do this. I did not examine the liner that closely other than to note that it was a typical M15 undyed. I can say that even if I had $5K I would not purchase it. Crossed the border today and back to the freezing temps!

Great comments by Tony why doesn't he post them himself? This makes no sense. Good luck on the roads. Is actually 32° In Lake Charles Louisiana.

joerookery said:
Great comments by Tony why doesn't he post them himself? This makes no sense. Good luck on the roads. Is actually 32° In Lake Charles Louisiana.

Home of jazz singer Nellie Lutcher! (Lake Charles)

I've only seen Kuerassier helmets in subdued steel, so this is a new one on me too.

:D Ron

I'm the owner of this scarce ersatz lobster tail helmet. A member says that he has seen this helmet for the past eight years at euro shows. Well, that is impossible because I have never been to a European military show. There is an example of this helmet at the Brussels War Museum. This example makes two and mine makes three.I can appreciate the skepticism since there are no known photographs but like Brian stated, the thing talks to you.I don't understand why half the people would condemn it with only the lack of knowledge to go by.I took it to Louisville to try and find out more information about the helmet. My buddy talked me into pricing it for $5000. After seeing all of the interest in it, he advised me to not sell it. I am not going to sell it until I find out more about it. I really appreciate the interest and personally, i'm real proud to own it. If,in fact, it is a "real" piece, then it would certainly be worth more than $5,000. Anyone that holds it in there hands and leans to the "fake side" is a real pessimist. Thanks for creating a great forum.I look forward to sharing any information with all of you.

posking said:
I'm the owner of this scarce ersatz lobster tail helmet. A member says that he has seen this helmet for the past eight years at euro shows. Well, that is impossible because I have never been to a European military show. There is an example of this helmet at the Brussels War Museum. This example makes two and mine makes three.I can appreciate the skepticism since there are no known photographs but like Brian stated, the thing talks to you.I don't understand why half the people would condemn it with only the lack of knowledge to go by.I took it to Louisville to try and find out more information about the helmet. My buddy talked me into pricing it for $5000. After seeing all of the interest in it, he advised me to not sell it. I am not going to sell it until I find out more about it. I really appreciate the interest and personally, i'm real proud to own it. If,in fact, it is a "real" piece, then it would certainly be worth more than $5,000. Anyone that holds it in there hands and leans to the "fake side" is a real pessimist. Thanks for creating a great forum.I look forward to sharing any information with all of you.

Thank you for your comment Posking. What do you know of the history/origin/provenance of this helmet?
Bruno

I purchased the helmet, alone with several other helmets from Gary Hendershott. Gary is a very well known historian who has a website. http://www.garyhendershott.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Gary is very well known in civil war uniforms. He purchased, from a deceased attorney's estate, a large collection of headgear. They included a M-18 German cut out helmet which i sold at the SOS, a U.S. 517th paratrooper regiment helmet, which I sold at the MAX Show.Anyway, the collection of headgear was phenomenal. I also purchased a Chinese "plum Blossom" helmet and a Chinese fur cap from the Chinese revolution.Just a bunch of incredible finds.

Posking;

Welcome this forum !

I have a question:

Do you have a picture of this Jäger zu Pferde helmet in the Brussels Army Museum ?
I looked in my pictures several times: could not find it! (perhaps I missed it).
Thank you !

Francis

Thanks for joining the forum Chuck. I promised you at the SOS that I would post pics of the helmet to generate some discussion so away we go! I think the next step would be to have some/one of our many Belgian members confirm the existence of another one of these in that Belgian museum. The real killer would be to come up with an original picture of one being worn. One last comment on the construction of this piece: The trim around the entire helme is the proper M15 grey steel plus who could bend it into that shape today?, the segmented felt lobster tail is fantastic and last, if you look at the rear picture we even have the correct T shaped split brad holding the liner band to the shell. To be continued.

Brian,
Thank you for the opportunity to discuss this helmet.
To answer Khukri, I have not been to the Brussels War Museum. I took this helmet to the Tennessee Military Show about a year ago. I was trying to gather information concerning its authenticity. At first, everyone was a doubter but then a guy appeared and told me that he knew of two others. One in the Brussels museum and another in a private collection in Europe.He told me that his name was Ken Niewiarowicz. As it turned out,after investigating his credibility, he is the author of the book "GERMANY'S COMBAT HELMETS 1933-1945" A MODERN STUDY. He has a website: http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I feel much better about my helmet since hearing this news. Now all I need is a period photo.Thanks again for your time.

Back