Spammer on the forum

Not sure if its the same person, but there is another one, He is Belarusian i believe, under the name of "Ruslagis" He is spamming some sort of add for a company in Minsk. I have reported him as well. Anyone that has reached here has probably seen one of his posts already, he is posting every few minutes.

Last edited:
Not sure if its the same person, but there is another one, He is Belarusian i believe, under the name of "Ruslagis" He is spamming some sort of add for a company in Minsk. I have reported him as well. Anyone that has reached here has probably seen one of his posts already, he is posting ever few minutes.
I have also noticed this new spammer’s posts. The posts are advertising a different thing but they’re in the same format as Duglas’ posts, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same person, and what is being advertised is a scam.

Not sure if its the same person, but there is another one, He is Belarusian i believe, under the name of "Ruslagis" He is spamming some sort of add for a company in Minsk. I have reported him as well. Anyone that has reached here has probably seen one of his posts already, he is posting ever few minutes.
Yes , he is back and now takes up 3 places on our forum.
Steve

I have thought about it too Steve, and came up with a solution which might not be liked by many, as this forum is until now free of charges.
I thought about it, what if we make this forum based on a paid membership, with a yearly amount to pay, just like the Western Front Association, of which I am a member?
That way, you register yourself, pay a yearly contribution, and can post messages and reply's here. Another bonus is, that you register on only 1 IP-adress, another one will not be accepted, as it isn't linked to you personally. But will lead to a permanent ban/ extra fee to pay. No spammer would go for paying fee's to spamming us.
The other bonus is, that, knowing this forum is mostly paid for by Brian, and based on yearly donations, can benefit, using the yearly fee, for being a member of this site.

Regards, Coert.

Last edited:
I have thought about it too Steve, and came up with a solution which might not be liked by many, as this forum is until now free of charges.
I thought about it, what if we make this forum based on a paid membership, with a yearly amount to pay, just like the Western Front Association, of which I am a member?
That way, you register yourself, pay a yearly contribution, and can post messages and reply's here. Another bonus is, that you register on only 1 IP-adress, another one will not be accepted, as it isn't linked to you personally. But will lead to a permanent ban/ extra fee to pay. No spammer would go for paying fee's to spamming us.
The other bonus is, that, knowing this forum is mostly paid for by Brian, and based on yearly donations, can benefit, using the yearly fee, for being a member of this site.

Regards, Coert.
I am O K with that
but then I think that a membership would have to be paid front
non-refundable and by PayPal
Steve

Brian and I have discussed the payment idea many times, it is his forum, and his decision. There are many things involved that most people do not think about. Brian would have to claim income on the membership fees, thus getting taxes involved etc. As of now the free will donations seam to be going good for him.

Will see what he says!

James

Brian and I have discussed the payment idea many times, it is his forum, and his decision. There are many things involved that most people do not think about. Brian would have to claim income on the membership fees, thus getting taxes involved etc. As of now the free will donations seam to be going good for him.

Will see what he says!

James
O K By me
I did not think of that angle
Steve

This forum is very accessible and welcoming by being free, and also allows people to ask maybe just one question that they otherwise wouldn't have asked. It would be a shame to lose that over the occasional hassle of spammers, who typically are also very recognizable as such so we don't need to read their posts.
Regards,
Lars

I have followed this thread for several days and to my mind Amy and Lars have summed it up…..a compulsory membership fee would discourage new collectors from joining us. All forums thrive on new members and new topics for discussion, we would lose this. I would also rather put up with the occasional spammer which are easily identified than start charging people to join the forum. Our tech support has been very good and Joel has done his best to solve any problems. Last, I looked into this a year ago and the personal income tax issues that this fee would create are problems that I am not willing to deal with.

Back