Spammer on the forum

It has been a long time since I joined the forum so I cant remember, but is the forum free to join or is there some degree of a vetting process before people are allowed to just join?

I am deleting as we speak!
We can’t keep up with this James. Hopefully Joel will see this and what we actually need is the ability to delete and ban as Moderators with one button. Not nine. By the time we do that another Spam machine has shown up. Thanks everybody who puts a reply in this thread but I assure you that we are seeing it, we are just having a problem keeping up with it.

I've gone ahead and changed the CAPTCHA we're using to a more secure one and also reconfigured the forum so that new users can't post spam.

That said, what I've noticed is many of the users who have been spamming are users that signed up some time ago (usually years ago) with obviously fake / burner Gmail accounts. That is, accounts that signed up before we had the protections in place that we do now, and as such, are able to effectively bypass them.

With this in mind, I'm going to start pruning old accounts that are inactive, which should help reduce the spam problem somewhat.

Update: I've disabled ~1500 accounts that I suspect were registered by spammers and would've been used sooner or later. Obviously do let me know if anyone was disabled in error.

Last edited:
The forum is still free and will remain so, it was never intended to be some "source of revenue". However, there are some expenses and time involved in keeping things running smoothly. I deeply appreciate any and all donations received and this is why I endeavour to thank personally anyone who does contribute. A few years back, we had a problem with spammers accessing the PM feature and sending their garbage to the membership. As a result, Joel changed the system to require a certain amount of forum posts before a new member could contact others. To my mind, spam is an unfortunate part of the net and will always prove to be an issue. I have tried to eliminate as much as possible recently and my thanks to Tony and James for their efforts as well. Hopefully, Joel's work will give us more protection.

Unfortunately, I have decided not to react anymore here on the forum, for a while.
I won't remove myself, yet, but this is not the way I like it.
Pleeeease don’t back away. We cannot afford to lose your knowledge. You and so many others who are all members here. This little Forum is pulling in more and Imperial collectors from around the world, as we are (reasonably) polite and as said, free. But not free for Brian. Many years he struggles to keep the Forum paid but still it’s here for us. So donate to keep this alive. Spammer programs will never stop the assault. When you see spam BS, we’re probably on it ☠️

Back