The Great War Dawning

Joe congratulations!

I just found out about this yesterday, as I received a copy of the Verlagsprogramm 2014 from Verlag Militaria in the mail. Have you seen the review that Verlag wrote about this book? They are impressed.

According to Verlag Militaria:

The Authors:

Dr. Frank Buchholz

Born in 1962 Dr. Buchholz studied Humanities and Military History at the German Federal Armed Forces University in Hamburg and at Bremen University. He wrote his PhD thesis about the differences in German and American strategic thinking. Leaving the German Army as a Captain after twelve years of active service, Dr. Buchholz is now working as a Human Resources Director. Besides this he holds the position of a Secretary of the highly regarded Deutsche Gesellschaft für Heereskunde and is frequently publishing articles in the Zeitschrift für Heereskunde.

Col. (Ret.) Janet Robinson

Col. Janet Robinson received both her Bachelor of Arts degree in German and her Master of Education at South Dakota State University. She also has a Master of Strategic Studies from the U.S. Army War College. Her work experience includes: teaching, secondary school administration, and the U.S. Air Force. She served in a number of positions for the Assistant Secretary of Defense, where she was working in homeland security at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. She and her husband, Joe, have written The Handbook of Imperial Germany and published Neumann & Müller’s Imperial German Military Catalogues.

Col. (Ret.) Joe Robinson

Col. Joe Robinson graduated from the University of Washington and received his Master of Business Administration degree from Texas A & M University. He entered the U.S. Army in 1977 and was a Division G3 in a combat zone. He has written several thousand operational orders. He graduated from the U.S. Army War College, where he also taught. Before his medical retirement, he was Director of the Army’s Military Support Division at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.

The Great War Dawning

The imperial German army in 1914 was not the juggernaut that many presumed; rather, it was a force mired in tradition that had developed many structural weaknesses. Most English-language histories of the Great War’s battles are based on British sources; the authors of this book based their analyses on many original German sources. With an extensive bibliography that includes German language sources (many unpublished), the reader is presented with a different view of the conflict.

This will become the seminal English language book on the German army as it entered World War I. This treatise explains the social, political, and economic structure of the country as it relates to the German military. It is the only English-language source that fully explains the German army—both active and reserve forces coupled with their training and doctrine. More importantly, this book discusses the structural issues in the German army that led directly to its failure at the Battle of the Marne. Specifically, leadership issues, logistical issues, and the misuse of cavalry created significant fissures that could have been corrected before the war.
This is a different view of the Great War than the well-known Guns of August published in 1962. The Great War Dawning presents a critical look at the doctrine of the time and how leadership’s failure to overhaul outmoded methods led to the downfall of imperial Germany’s plans in 1914.

Note that this is the only book listed by Velag as Nur Auf Englisch. Seems to say a lot about a book published in Austria!

joerookery said:
I tried to order a copy via their website today, but creditcard payments outside Austria are apparently not accepted. I'll try it again later otherwise I'll contact the publisher to see whether alternative payment methods are possible.

Edwin did you ever get this straightened out? It is supposed to work…

I tried it once more using their online payment system but with the same result. This led me to contact my bank and they confirmed that my credit card was not blocked and in the meantime I used it successfully for another online payment. Following my initial attempts, I mailed the publisher to see whether other payment methods are possible but I am still awaiting their reply. That's the status so far and now I am hoping that your book will show up soon on amazon.

Regards,

Edwin

USA mailing logjam fixed. Should have usa postage link in a week. Super product available worldwide worth easily twice the price! Verlag Militaria did their normal masterful job on this product. I have a van full!

The great website change has been made! You can now order any of the books from Verlag-Militaria in the USA – at USA prices – with USA postage. This is one heck of a deal. Our book weighs 4 1/2 pounds. And is well worth ordering. However, the postage issue has been fixed! The best deal you can get online is from Verlag-Militaria USA using the same website but there is now a button on the upper right of the screen for USA customers only. A much better deal than Amazon – now that review copies are out we finally got our first English-language review from the United Kingdom.

From Chris Baker on the Great War forum:

The Great War Dawning
Germany and its Army at the start of World War 1
by Frank Buchholz, Joe Robinson and Janet Robinson
published by Verlag Militaria, 2014
ISBN 978 3 902526 65 6
cover price - not stated
Hardback, 532pp. Illustrated with colour and B&W plates, two large fold-out maps.

This book can be obtained direct from the publishers at http://www.militaria...660&Language=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a terrific book this is. A wonderful, weighty, reference work that will become indispensable for anyone interested in the orders of battle, organisation, methods, doctrine and background to the formidable armies of the Kaiser's Reich in 1914.

Many readers will be familiar with the work of Jack Sheldon, a British historian and former army officer who has written several outstanding books looking at the Great War from the German side. Jack is a member of this Forum, too. He wrote an introduction to "Great War Dawning" which quite rightly highlighted the fact that British historians, authors and students have all to often examined the war without looking too closely at the enemy. This is perhaps not too surprising in that German source materials can be difficult to find and in most cases the regimental histories and memoirs only appear in the native language (and usually printed in difficult script). It has just been too hard for most. But things are changing, and "Great War Dawning" is a key example. It draws upon incredibly deep and detailed research and analysis and presents, in English, a fact-filled treasure trove of information.

The book covers the historical background to the German Reich and how its resultant constitution and laws had important roles in shaping the armies. The military background of each of the states and provinces that eventually made up the modern Germany is explored in detail. It then goes on to examine the social and political background to the Reich and the part the army played. We have sections on national service, training and the activities of the army in peacetime; and the organisation of the active and reserve army, across all arms.

Perhaps for most military historians it will be the sections on doctrine, training, war plans, mobilisation and how this all unfolded in the early weeks of the war which will be of most interest. It explains much and presents to us a thorough view of those cataclysmic battles of 1914; it also shows how issues of leadership and logistics were or were not identified and put Germany on a path of organisational and doctrinal development that played a central role in German prosecution of the war up to 1918. Personally I learned so much from this book that I did not know before, or was able to clarify what I had only dimly understood.

As a readable work and as a reference, I can not rate "Great War Dawning" more highly.

While I am at this at $70 this is such a bargain that you might want to consider it for a Father's Day present. I don't make any money doing this – the publisher does and it is a really good deal. \:D/

Verlag%20Books%20For%20Sale%20Advertisement%201-6-14%20JPG.jpg

David Filsell's comments:

Chris beat me to the punch with his review, and like me I'll bet he hasn't read many of its 500 plus pages before rushing into a passionate review. But he is absolutely right. This is a fantastic piece of work from start to finish from a very serious and committed Austrian publisher. Without any doubt what so ever this is 'the' work of reference on the German Army of 1914, the nation, it's constitution and absolutely every thing. If you are interested in the German army you slimy cannot afford not to get a copy. Not simply book of the year , so far book of the century. Over the top, moi?. Maybe, but only slightly

After reading all these impressive reviews, I decided to try once more to order it and this time everything went fine :D I still have no clue why this did not work in December. Hopefully, it will be shipped soon!

Regards,

Edwin

Your situation actually got some serious conversation and a complete check out of the website system and security. No problem was ever found. I have no idea either. Maybe it was aliens! :lol: It's

I am only about 80 pages into the book, but it better than anticipated. It was interesting to read that the royal insanity might have originated in Scotland. The other royal disease, hemophilia has been pretty much eradicated in the US by the American Red Cross.

Back