Tschapka Restoration

Naprawiacz

I cleaned all the metal parts and wappen.I repaired the belt and applied the first coat of primer.Now I am waiting for it to dry before applying the next coat.

Attachments

• DSC05730.JPG
    DSC05730.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC05735.JPG
    DSC05735.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC05740.JPG
    DSC05740.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC05747.JPG
    DSC05747.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • DSC05738.JPG
    DSC05738.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • DSC05741.JPG
    DSC05741.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC05745.JPG
    DSC05745.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
It looks great Wojtek!
I also have a Tschapka just like it, only mine has a schuppenkette, with curved scales. Mine is missing the liner though,
but it display's well anyway. I thought it was quite difficult to fix the top, but you fixed it anyway. A nice job.

Regards, Coert.

Excellet Wojtek! How did you straighten the mortarboard top?? Are you going to make a liner for it or just leave the helmet as is?

Excellet Wojtek! How did you straighten the mortarboard top?? Are you going to make a liner for it or just leave the helmet as is?
I acted very brutally and soaked the object in lukewarm water with spirit vinegar in a ratio of 10:1.After a minute of bathing, I started straightening the object by hand.After three minutes, the object was ready to be put on the dummy's head.After putting it on, I kept working with my fingers kneading the skin.I will receive the liner tomorrow from a colleague in Gdansk,who will also bring me a manual leather sewing machine, which I will test. Interesting is the way the sewing was done in this copy.Where there is a visor it was not sewn but glued and overlapped the edge.Greetings
Wojtek

Attachments

• DSC05772.JPG
    DSC05772.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • DSC05774.JPG
    DSC05774.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Oh my God....I WOULD NOT USE A SEWING MACHINE.....it should be done by hand. There's a good chance you could ruin it with a machine.

You have done an excellent job straightening it, please take your time with it...

You missed the key phrase Pontiac "a manual sewing machine". There are antique sewing machines which are turned by a hand crank & wheel. This would allow you to carefully stitch one hole at a time with the machine. You have complete control over it and you can guide the stitching needle through each hole. I have often thought of buying one of these myself but they are not cheap and you would have to make sure it was in good working order. The late George Birringer used to us an antique treadle machine to stitch his repro liners. If it chipped the shellac in a major way then it is of no use.

Oh my God....I WOULD NOT USE A SEWING MACHINE.....it should be done by hand. There's a good chance you could ruin it with a machine.

You have done an excellent job straightening it, please take your time with it...
This is a machine to facilitate hand sewing.It will not be machine sewing but hand sewing.Sometimes it is hard to write technical language through the translator.

what a wonderful job, good idea to reshape the structure!, I did a similar job with a thschapka with sunk in top by putting it on a dummy head for a long time with good results as well, but are you going to replace the liner by a copy, or are you going to put back in the damaged one? I would prefer the original damaged one...

what a wonderful job, good idea to reshape the structure!, I did a similar job with a thschapka with sunk in top by putting it on a dummy head for a long time with good results as well, but are you going to replace the liner by a copy, or are you going to put back in the damaged one? I would prefer the original damaged one...
This UR 14 tschapka (kammerstuck) damaged liner as well, but readable stamp, once came to me with a very sunk in top, it stil is somewhat low, and skew, but quite straightened out as compared to the state it came in... by putting it on a dummy head after moistening it as you did (without vinegar)
(paraderabatten seems to be original, but maybe not for this regiment, should be somewhat more pinkish, no kammerstempel on it)

Attachments

• UR14.jpg
    UR14.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 16
Back