My small WW1 canteen collection

Anything WWI

Moderators: b.loree, Gustaf

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

My small WW1 canteen collection

Post by Stahlhelm » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:12 pm

I wanted to share my canteen collection which consists of mostly German Feldflaschen and 2 French mle 1877 bidons.

The German bottles are either the versions with the M15 or M17 harness straps with the exception of one medic Labelflasche, which I believe is a 1915 model. The canteen covers range from typical wartime quality cloth to corduroy, papercloth and even one made of leather. Both of the canteens with the papercloth covers are enamelled as opposed to tin plated and have 1918 dated components.

I'd love to see other examples. Please post yours.
Hans

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:14 pm

French canteens; 1 litre and 2 litre versions with tin plated cups.

Last edited by Stahlhelm on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:16 pm

German Trinkbecher; 1914 aluminum and 1915 (Bing) tin plated steel drinking cups.

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:27 pm

This canteen is one of the "last-ditch" versions produced. Due to shortages of pretty much everything by late in the war, papercloth has now been used as a substitute for both cloth and the leather straps. Metal press studs have been replaced with a black tie cord. The steel bottle is coated in a blue enamel. Both the cover and the bottle are maker marked (same maker) and dated 1918. I believe the very last version is the rarely found glass bottle variant which has the same cover as this one.

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm

This is the oddest WW1 German canteen in my collection. The bottle is a tin plated steel M1915 and the straps are also the M15 configuration. I've not seen another leather covered WW1 period German canteen, although I know that various German States used leather covers in the 19th century. I don't know whether this falls into the Ersatz category or if this is a holdover from the 19th century that was used by a handful of makers.

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:52 pm

Hans,
You are an evil man, it will be difficult to top your beginning, but in the next few weeks, I will add the few waterbottles in my meagre collection.
I must say, I am envious, I have never seen a leather covered German waterbottle before, that is very nice.
Gus
OK, they are dolls, but they have kung fu grip! and weapons.

J.LeBrasseur

Post by J.LeBrasseur » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:44 pm

I do not collect these, but very cool, thanks for sharing!
J.LeBrasseur

Adler
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by Adler » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 am

I think those Feldflaschen are great Hans! I only have two pictures of my Feldflaschen together with some other stuff (made the pics a while ago)... If you see something you need details from, just let me know...

Adler

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Gustaf wrote:Hans,
You are an evil man
Gus
That would finally explain my baby pictures.

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Adler, beautiful display. I would like to know more about the canteen with what looks like cloth straps. I've never seen one like it. Detail shots of the other canteens would certainly be welcome. Are any dated 1915?

Hans

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:51 pm

HeyHans,
I managed to get most of my water bottles together to take a few photos, I do not have anything is as nice condition as yours or Adler's', but I do have a few.
First are my German Feldflaschen
an aluminum Flasch with the cup attached to an early war breadbag
a steel Feldflasch with the steel cup attached to a later bread bag
On the right is a M1907 Feldflasch with out a cover, and on the left is an unidentifyed bottle with a cup attached, it looks to be German construction, and I have found similar ones in the German Alfa catalogue, but this is still unknown.
a selection of Austrian Feldflaschem, the first on the left is the standard war time production, dated 1916 with matching nesting cup, in the center right is the pre-war aluminum waterbottle, dated 914 (1914) and on the right is a steel wartime model with leather carrying strap common to the mounted soldiers, this one belonged to the grand father oaf a friend, and he was with the Tirolean Mounted Kaisresschützen. All these were 1/2 liter capacity.
My two French Biddon, the early 1 liter modle and the 1877 2 liter modle, French soldiers would often carry two of the two liter canteens, I think the French were the only ones who realized that soldiers needed water to do their job.
since Hans got off topic and posted the French Biddons, I thought I would add a few more, here is a stink common US canteen, cup and cover. The only thing of note here is that the cover is marked to the 110 infantry, company A. The was the unit my grandfather served with, and I had a bit of trouble being able to afford a marked bit of equipment, as many 101st Airborn collectors think this fits in their collection.
on the left is a Portuguese water bottle with the Mills carrier, on the right is a Belgian water bottle
on the left is a Russian water bottle, dated 1910, the center is unidentifyed, it follows the construction pattern of the Russian wodden water bottle, but the Italians alsoproduced a wooden water bottle like this, the standard Italian wooden water bottle is made from staves rather than a solit bit of wood. On the right is the Italian M1917 water bottle.
I should have a few additions in the future.
Best wishes
Gsu

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:30 pm

Impressive and educational as always Gus. I think that's the first time I've seen a Russian canteen.

The German looking canteen with the cup attached to the bottom looks very much like something I once saw in one of my books. I believe they were being worn by pre-war Bavarian artillerymen. I'll try to dig up the picture and will post it if it turns out to be the same model.

I have yet to get my hands on an early model German canteen with wool cover or an enamelled cup.

Very nice stuff. I look forward to seeing more.
Hans

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Hey Hans, until I saw your leather covered water bottle, I thought the papercloth covered ones were the most interesting, Jeff at AGM had a very nice glass bottle with paper cloth cover at SOS, but the price was beyond my reach.
Gus

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:35 pm

I have been searching for this cartoon for three days, it is from Albian Wallgren's book Wally, his cartoons of the AEF.
I thought it was appropriate for this thread.
Bes twises
Gus

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:13 pm

I just recieved an Italian wooden water bottle from a seller in France, It is missing the small stopper, and is a bit worm eatten, but I did not plan on putting water in it. This one leads me to believe that the other wodden on eI have is Italian also, as it has the same shape, but is larger.
I think one could collect water bottles and canteens with out running out of variations, but they are just a side line for me.
Best wishes
Gus

Adler
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by Adler » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:47 am

Ok Hans, let's start with the one with the straps... It's marked ED Sommerfeld 1915 on the canteen . No markings visible on the straps...

Last edited by Adler on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlhelm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stahlhelm » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:32 pm

I'm glad to see so many varieties of canteens being posted. Gustaf, the Italian ones must be fairly rare. I can't remember ever seeing one for sale, not at local shows anyway.

Karel, the webbing harness on your canteen is something I'm sure I haven't seen or read about before. Do you have more information on it?

Hans

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Hey Hans,
The wooded Italian water bottles are about as common as the tined ones, none are very common in the Americas. The Russian Wooden water bottles are the rarest, and I think mine is actually Italian rather than Russian, so in my collections room, the Italian water bottles are the 2nd most common right after the American canteen.
I also managed to find my one example of the French Quart, it was in the bread bag, it is now hanging n the 2 liter bidon.
Karel,
I too like the cloth straps on your water bottle, but I suspect that it was intended to be used with a cloth cover on the water bottle as it has the button hole in both straps for the stud found in the bottom of the cloth cover.
Gus

Adler
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by Adler » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:42 am

Sorry Hans, I have never seen an other one with these straps and have no further info about it... but it seems the straps have been on that canteen for ever...
Gus, it's true what you mention about the button hole, but there has never been a button in there. Also the canteen has a lot of paint damage, so I suppose it has always been without the cloth cover...
Concerning the canteen with the leather cover, I think this cover is possibly custom made and maybe done after WWI... This also might explain the aluminum button, instead of an iron one... But hey that's just a possibility...

Adler

frontschwein

Post by frontschwein » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:35 pm

hello everyone.

i also have a question. i have got two canteens. i bought the second one thinking its a german canteen. maybe it is. but im not sure. i once found a bit of information wich explained it to be a prewar saxon version. but it also looks like a belgian canteen to me. its marked: r114. the green steel canteen is marked: L. L. Runberg 1916.

regards, Michiel from the netherlands.

wir sind die durch die holle gehen,
es gibt kein morgen mehr danach.
gott weint uns keine trane nach.

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey Michiel,
The second waterbottle is no doubt German, pre war aluminum construction, one would need to remove the cover to be sure, as a german waterbottle will be marked, the covers on the Belgian waterbottles had the snap opening in the center of the flat part of the bottle, rather than the side like this one, and Belgian bottles are seldome marked.
Best wishes
Gsu

Pierre Grande Guerre
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by Pierre Grande Guerre » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Michiel welcome from a fellow Dutchman. You run also an interesting website. For most guys here; interesting pics but alas for you with Dutch text. So, Use Google translation.
PIERRE's
PHOTO IMPRESSIONS of the WESTERN FRONT
http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl

frontschwein

Post by frontschwein » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Gustaf and pierre, thank you for your reply.

Pierre, i also enjoyed browsing your site! keep up the good work.

Gustaf, i've removed the cover. There are no markings on the canteen except for the one on the bottleneck. its marked: R.114.
but no makermark on the side.
Last edited by frontschwein on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
es gibt kein morgen mehr danach.
gott weint uns keine trane nach.

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey Michiel,
That is a puzzel, it really looks German to me, but I have not seen a german waterbottle with out a maker's mark, but that does not mean that there are not any out there.
Best
Gus

RON
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: My small WW1 canteen collection

Post by RON » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Gents, is this one truly a German 'medical' canteen?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370543288364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers!
Ronny

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Here is an addition from a year or two ago, it is a glass ersatz Ottoman water bottle, I have seen many with out the cover, it is a distinct flask, as it has a ribbed pattern to the outside of the bottle, A friend handed this to me selling it as German, but as soon as my had felt the ribs, I knew what it was. Recently another collector in Turky found four with the covers and leather straps.

ebeeby
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by ebeeby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Excellent - thanks for sharing!