2023 SOS

I will be flying to Louisville from New York next Tuesday. Got one day free, I wonder anyone have some sightseeing recommendations in the city?:)
There cave tours are great, some of the best around. Also the Louisville slugger tour is good.

James

I will be flying to Louisville from New York next Tuesday. Got one day free, I wonder anyone have some sightseeing recommendations in the city?:)
I am going to Central Park to take the horse cartridge ride, then watch musical at Broadway district and shop in times Square. Next day gg for cruise to look at the statue of liberty

I am going to Central Park to take the horse cartridge ride, then watch musical at Broadway district and shop in times Square. Next day gg for cruise to look at the statue of liberty
(y)

but I also recommend the guided Manhattan cruise with iconic views and a lot of history.

Hava nice day!

Bregards
Marty

My wife and I lived in NYC for nearly 20 years.
You only have a day and there is way too much to do, but if like hamburgers and milksakes stop at Ellen's Stardust Diner, which is near Times Square. It has a 1950s theme.

I packed the "Plunder Mobile" - our Nissan Transit van - on Sunday and we'll roll down to Louisville tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. Easy six hour drive for us.

(y)

but I also recommend the guided Manhattan cruise with iconic views and a lot of history.

Hava nice day!

Bregards
Marty
Marty thanks for the recommendation but I went with liberty cruise as the hop on bus ticket comes together with the cruise. Was a nice way of experiencing new york

My wife and I lived in NYC for nearly 20 years.
You only have a day and there is way too much to do, but if like hamburgers and milksakes stop at Ellen's Stardust Diner, which is near Times Square. It has a 1950s theme.
Peter
I took your recommendation and went after my late night musical . Guess what, the q just too get into the restaurant was an hour long even at 10pm. I was really hungry so I ordered food from the food truck. Would try it next visit.

Whomever is coming to show, stop by our tables at H15, H16, H17 and H18 Gus, Brian and myself will be there! Amy has a table right by us as well!

James
My table is next to James but there is a gap, it is not right next to it H14 then gap and followed by H15 lol, so I am gg to join Brian and James and Gus at H15.

Any pictures guys ?

Even though I am not at the show this year, here is how things generally unfold for those in attendance:

The 5 pm to 8 pm dealer set up last night (Wednesday) has most everyone in the hall running around looking for stuff to buy. You'd be surprised and likely wouldn't believe it unless you were there to see this situation in person. There are maybe 20% of the table holders that have stuff on their tables while most everyone else walks around in a hurry looking for stuff to buy on the smaller percentage of tables that are actually set up and are open for business to sell things. For someone who is attending on Wed evening for the first time as a table helper or a dealer table holder, it might be a bit of a let down to see the situation as it is.

And on Thursday from 8 a.m. to noon it is dealers only and table helpers, and Life Members of OVMS who are the only ones allowed in the hall. You would be surprised how many tables are covered up during this time period because the table holders and table helpers and life members want to look around to find things to buy, versus sitting at their tables trying to sell things. During all of this time period from Wed evening until noon on Thursday, the priority for many in the hall is to go around and look for stuff to buy. Some stay at their tables and don't leave to look around because they want to sell stuff to make money. I've done this a couple of times the last two years I attended, because I wanted to sell stuff more than I wanted to buy stuff initially. There actually are some dealers who don't open their tables up for sales until Friday because they are out looking around in the aisles for things to buy for their collections or for resale purposes all day Thursday. As one example of this type of situation: Helmut Weitze and his helpers do not normally open their tables for business until Friday morning, as I recall. There are others who do the same.

Give the guys some time to be able to take some pics, maybe starting this afternoon after the regular OVMS members are allowed to enter the show, those who don't have dealer table(s) or table helper passes. Everyone's priority for being there is to buy and to sell things they brought to sell, not for taking photos for any of us here, and I don't say that in a bad way. It's just the way it is. Once things calm down for them and they have the time to take some pics and post them, they'll be happy to do so for those of us who aren't at the show. It is actually very time consuming and takes a lot of effort to take the photos and to post them here. And doing so means it takes away from the time to look to find "bargains" and other things that a person actually wants to buy and not miss out on. Again, not saying any of this in a bad way about any of us hoping to see pictures. We simply have to remain patient until they're eventually able to do so for our benefit. So hang in there to all of us who aren't at the show. Brian and James and the gang will do their best as they're able to post photos when possible. :)

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:
I just love the pictures taken/posted at the SOS, every year I wish I could be there too, but every time I can't, unfortunately.
One day I will though, but will make it a holiday too. A couple of weeks in the USA. As I have never visited the USA before.

For now, I'll wait to see the pictures of the SOS, there will be many, as every year there is lots to see.To every member visiting it, I hope you find lots of nice items for your collection.

Regards, Coert.

Back