Garde du Korps

I'd like some opinions on this one. I have a chance to purchase it but want to make certain it's original.

Another view.

I have more photos if needed.

Richard

Seems I forgot about this interesting thread #-o ...

Anyway, as Randy said, many things were not according the rules, but as we are collectors, we try to find the pieces that are according the regulations unless... there is provenance of the "wrong" object being used during the period.

So, in this case the first pictures gave me the impression that the eagle is an enlisted man's model on an officer's base. Here you have some pictures of my officer's and enlisted model for comparison. The off. is in 100% mint condition with all its frosted silver, the enlisted eagle has some patina but the crown is still nice silver colour (shows a bit yellowish in the pictures but it is silver). I see Dragoner8 already used one of my pictures :-k ...

Imo one can see the differences between both models. Of course there are other variations depending on the maker, but the difference in quality is always visible imo...

Hope this helps in some way...

Adler

Adler...oh my God, what beautiful pieces. You are responsible if I night can not sleep today . :lol:

Can you tell me what your officer Adler weighs ?

He is perfect....wow !!!!!

Gruß Dragoner08

I saw some time ago a helmet with such Adler in this perfect conservation here in Germany .

The helmet was offered by a dealer near Hamburg . No Weitze !

Is that the helmet from Germany ?

Gruß Gunnar

Thank you guys!

Gunnar, I have this helmet and eagle for some time now, I don't know if it's the one you are refering to... but what's important is the fact that it took me more than 20 years to find one like this...

When I have the time to weigh it, I'll let you know the result...

Adler

PS I hope you slept well :-" ...

Adler thanks for your answer.

I am now convinced that it is really this helmet . This is the best helmet that I have in over 40 years ever seen .
You have the breastplate and the Bandelier also took ?

An absolute dream !!!

I held this helmet in my hands and would not let go of him . Unfortunately it was already sold ... to you . :)

Gruß Gunnar

I don't have the bandoleer... Got out of cash to buy the rest #-o ... but I do have this...

Adler

Oh yes ... it is the helmet !!!

An absolute dream in incredibly fantastic condition !!!

Something you only get once in a lifetime....wonderful.

I have this piece but the condition is over your pieces just sad . :(

Gruß Gunnar

Back to being dense – I could use a little bit of by the number explanation of the difference between an officer and enlisted Eagle. I know about the color of the crown and the different foot rest no one else is there? I still do not understand the rounded beak issue. Like everyone else I am blown away by the examples shown here.

The round beak is a sign of a copy . But I can not say 100% , if the eagle of Hixxy1 is really a copy . I need better pictures of it !

But now I have no other pictures of it!

Okay, I might as well man up and show mine. This was the fourth helmet I ever bought and knew next to nothing about them (no Picks.com back then, no internet either!). I've been suspicious of this for some years. My thought is that at best it's a private purchase NCO and worst is that the eagle is fake and the entire helmet is made up for the 'tourist' trade. The cool 'wing nut' to hold the eagle on is gone and there's a square bolt in its place (who'd know without ever seeing an original?) There are two extra holes behind the plate that fit a 6th K. eagle perfectly, so perhaps a 6K helmet converted for better value. It wouldn't bother me one bit to convert it back to 6 K, but then this is how it stands now. On the good side (I think, maybe), the crown has nice gilding on it.
In any case, this eagle pales in comparison to Adler's frosted, padded base, beautiful example!

:D Ron

Back