Gas Warfare

Stahlhelm

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread for forum members to share their knowledge and pictures of their gas masks or any other gas warfare related items in their collection, both Allied and German.

I've been very fortunate to stumble accross some very nice examples of German masks at local shows, where all but 2 of my gas masks were found. I hope to add to my collection and fill in the gaps down the road.

100_1974-copy.jpg

This is the earliest example in my collection. It's a Gummimaske cloth carrier bag (Segeltuchtasche) with the original cannister and filter. The bag's contents are typical of the 1916 model with only 2 compartments and a set of D-rings for strap attachment. The mask is long gone unfortunately.
The first model issued in 1915 had 3 compartments containing the Gummimaske and 2 filters, each in their separate can

100_1998-copy.jpg

100_2000-copy.jpg

I had the Segeltuchtasche posted on another forum a few months ago, and came to realize that it was actually a M15 reworked into a M16, with the D-rings added and one of the compartments taken out before being reissued in its updated form.

100_2227_edited.jpg

100_2120-copy.jpg

In my opinion, it was reissued at a relatively early date due to the fact that the cannister (which I have no doubt is original to the bag) contains early instructions mentioning only the Gummimaske, and not the later Rahmenmaske. The can on the left belongs to a Rahmenmaske.
100_2077-copy.jpg

The interior of the carrier bag can (on the right) shows a completely different construction than normally seen on these Gummimaske cans (left), which is another factor leading me to believe its an early model can.
100_2074-copy.jpg

The filter is the earlier 11-11 S model
100_2137.jpg

These next pictures show a Rahmenmaske. As to when these were first issued is puzzling because I've found so many sites that contradict each other. This one was captured by a Canadian Officer during a trench raid on March 2nd, 1917.

100_0963-copy.jpg

100_0948-copy.jpg

100_0967-copy.jpg

Rahmen means frame in German, and the name was given to this model of Gummimaske because the rim of the mask was strengthend by adding a strip of cloth. An extra set of straps were also added to the top of the mask to allow a snugger fit. The straps on this mask are still the early elastic version which were replaced in early 1917 with straps fixed with metal springs (Spiralbaender). The instructions inside the can refer to Spiralbaender as well as the earlier model straps.
100_0955-copy.jpg

This shot shows the filter and also the square piece of cloth which was draped over the filter. I've heard suggestions that this could have been to limit the amount of gas coming in contact with the filter, or that it was simply designed to protect the mask and lenses from friction within the carrier can.
Note that the filter is Nov. 1916 dated and has a coat of red laquer applied to the interior. This was first done to 11-11 filters early (?) in 1916. The filter that came with the cloth carrier bag doesn't have laquer applied.
100_0954-copy.jpg

The owner's initials
100_0961-copy.jpg

Interior of the carrier can
100_0962-copy.jpg

100_0951-copy.jpg

The Lederschutzmaske (GM 1917). This is the best example I have.
100_1019-copy.jpg

The filter has the Schnappdeckel attachment which was, to the best of my knowledge, developed to counter the effects of diphenylchloroarsine (Blue Cross shells), which was an irritant only fatal in very large amounts. It was actually a dust, and would foul enemy respirators; this would force them to tear off their masks. It was used in combination with the lethal diphosgene (Green Cross shells).
100_1025-copy.jpg

Spiralbaender
100_1022.jpg

The July 1917 dated filter. It is the later 11-C-11 version and is stamped by the same maker as the Rahmenmaske filter shown above.
100_1034-copy.jpg

100_1033.jpg

Here's one of my most exiting finds and my favourite carrier can. The name Cichon appears on the can 4 times; its also written in pencil on the base and scratched into the lid twice. It also appears in white ink or paint on one of the masks straps, along with the name of a previous owner named Beck. The mask's filter is also 1917 dated on this one.
The inscription reads: "136 (Regiment?), Driver Cichon, 3rd Company Machine Gun Sharpshooter Section (or more likely Detachment) 55.
100_0974-copy.jpg

Great information Hans, but sadly only the last few photos come through on my computer.
Gus

Hans,

This is fantastic! I know little of this but you have a clear explanation and pictures. This could be a great learning tool but as Gus said most of the pictures did not come through nor did your avatar. I really want to see the pictures..... I have a photograph somewhere around here of a gas cloud.
gasattack.jpg

OMG .... I need one of these masks. I face "Gas Warfare" every morning at 5am in my postal delivery office. After 70+ guys have been out on the beer the night before it sure is hell. Send me a mask GUS please.

I noticed just now that some of my pictures on another thread are no longer showing, but I can still see all of these. I have no idea why thats happening. :confused1:

Stahlhelm said:
I noticed just now that some of my pictures on another thread are no longer showing, but I can still see all of these. I have no idea why thats happening. :confused1:

Odd. None of us can see the initial pics. I copied the address into my browser, it comes up as not there?

Hey, A few more photos showed up. I find the gas masks interesting, and so do many younger people when I set up a display. It is funny though, as most kids identify the uniforms that are displayed with gas masks as firemen, as they are accustom to seeing firemen wearing resperators.
Gus

I logged off and back again and for some reason I can still see them. I'll work on it tomorrow. Thanks for pointing it out guys.

Hans

Great pics, an excellent topic and very informative. Thank you Hans for posting. I have both the gummi and the leder masks with cans. I will post some fotos shortly. Outside of the fact that each is made of different materials I have no knowledge of this part of WW1 German collecting. My computer also does not show all of your pics including the stahlhelme thread. perhaps it is the "host" that you are using for the fotos?? Brian

Hey Brian and Hans,
The first time I opened the Stahlhelm thread, I was able to see all the photos, and each time I open the Gas thread I see more.
Great stuff Hans, I, like Brian, only have the Gummi and Leder masks. My best purchase was when I bought a M1915 Gummi, and when I got it out of the can, I saw that it was an Austrian mask, talk about luck, the reason I bought it in the first place was because I needed a mask for my Austrian maniquin, and I fugured that there was no was I would be able to find a KuK marked mask, so I was going to settle for an M15 to fill the hole.
Best wishes
Gus

I'm looking forward to seeing your masks, especially the Gummimasken. I have yet to find an early M15 mask. I'd have to look up the exact chronology, but the Gummimasken were divided into catagories: the Linienmaske, Bandmaske and the Rahmenmaske. These masks went through improvements, not only with the filters, but with the volume of breathable air, and attachment straps. I remember the other change that appeared in the Rahmenmaske was the reduction in diameter of the plate into which the filter screwed in.

Gustav, the fact that you scored an Austrian mask is superb. These are incredibly hard to find, and the demand for anything KuK has made items like these skyrocket in price over the last few years, as you probably know. I often kick myself for not buying an Austrian helmet when they were still underappreciated.

By the way, the information I'm posting is mostly accurate as far as I know (as accurate as my memory serves). I'd be happy to hear from anyone who can expand on or correct anything I've said because I would love to learn as much as possible on this topic.

Back