Gas Warfare

Wyliecoyote said:
Can anybody I.D. these gas mask cans for me? They are from a photo of the same soldaten gruppe, and I am clueless when it comes to German Gas Masks. What year were they first issued?

Like Gus said, these were introduced in 1916, probably early that year, to replace the 3 compartment carrier bag version which had the mask and 2 filters in 3 separate cans. The cans in the picture look like a (manufacturer's?) variant which has the center ridge going inward instead of outward, which I think is more commonly seen. It's interesting that all 3 carrier cans in the picture are this version.

Here's a picture showing both versions. The variant on the right came with the M16 Segeltuchtasche (carrier bag) discussed earlier in this thread.

100_2082.jpg

I recently bought the mask pictured below because it has a feature (actually a lack of one) that I've only ever seen on one other GM 17 so far. I was hoping someone could post pics of one like it in their collection for comparison.

The mask has no circles of leather reinforcement around the outside eyepieces. I'm trying to figure out if this means it's an earlier model, variation, or just a manufacturing mistake.

The fact that the mask's straps are made in part from material almost identical in colour and quality to my earlier 1916 Gummimaske straps, and because the mask is well marked for a GM 17 (unfort. no date) leads me to believe it could be an early version.

000_0055.jpg

Reinforcement flap version on left, flapless variant on right.
000_0062.jpg

000_0060.jpg

Hey Hans,
I am sorry, I will be of no help, both my examples have the leather reinforcement, I can not remember seeing one with out it, but to be honest, I may not have been paying enough attention. Nice example.
Gus

Hey Hans, on page 165 in Fisch's book "Field Equipment of the Infantry 1914-1945" There is a photo of a Lederschützmaske that looks to be with out the leather reinforcement.
Gus

I have 2 pattern for the Gummi mask , one is similar to the ones shown , it has the pull open flap , the other has a latch system , similar to the Ledgermaske can . The can is to short to take the later pattern mask.
Here is a pic of the early Gummi mask's mask's in use as well as pigeon's in use.

Pigeongashouse.jpg

Mark

Gustaf said:
Hey Hans, on page 165 in Fisch's book "Field Equipment of the Infantry 1914-1945" There is a photo of a Lederschützmaske that looks to be with out the leather reinforcement.
Gus

Thanks Gus. I don't have the book, but know someone who might. I'll look it up.

hello,

People, thank you for all the information and pictures!
I have one question. I hope someone can help.

I've recently purchased a belgian m18 gasmask.
Little information that i have found on the net tells a lot of diffirent stories.
Some say the mask is made after example of a ledermaske, some say they are captured ledermasken rebuild. Some say the fabrication/rebuilding hapenen in france, some say belgium some say britain. one metioned an amount that would have been captured (17000)
some say the m18 was carried in a french ARS can. But i've seen two examples of m18s in german cans. And at last some say they were not in use till after the war, some say during the end of the war?

Does anyone know the right story? Please help.

Regards, Michiel. from holland.

Welcome Michiel,
You covered pretty much all the possibilities, It is my understanding that these masks were used after the war, and that they were made from surrendered German masks that were converted to use the French filter, I have not seen one in a German can, but this is possible (it could have been done by a collector who did not realize it was not German?)
The problem is that there is very little written information from the period about these masks, so we are left to use our best guess and keep looking for more information. A period photo would be of great help, but photos of Belgian troops are rare.
Short answer, No I do not think anyone knows the right story.
Best wishes, and welcome again
Gus

hello,

here are some pictures of my masks.not in the best condition. added the pictures just for the info and fun. i normally collect ww1 medals but i could not resist these. so i'm no expert. If anyone can give me more detail on these. everything is welcome!

though i do have one question. i've got two m17 canisters. one has the attachments slanting (if thats the right english word) and the other has got it straight. does that mean anything?

my ledermaske.

filter. can anyone tell me ayy details?

my belgian m18 mask.

my german canisters

friendly regards, michiel from the netherlands.

Hey Michiel,
The slanting and straight loops on the cans is just a variation in manufacturing
Best wishes
Gus

Great references and talk. I was always curious about that "X" cage on the Gummi can.

It's a shame a lot of the images in the thread have been deleted or had their paths changed on hosting sites. WOuld love to see the other offerings posted in this originally.

I'll have to photo my one mask and add it to the discussion.

Back