Generaloberst mit dem Rang eines General-Feldmarschalls

I have a copy of the book Steve mentions; “Mythos Marschallstab”. It makes no mention of any of the Generaloberst (mdReGFM) as having been awrded a marshals’ baton and does not list any. Interestingly a baton for Kaiser Wilhelm I is not listed either.

Regards
Glenn
Taking this opportunity. Is it possible to know, how many marshal's batons belonged to Count Moltke the Elder, according to information from this book?

Regards, Alexander.

Taking this opportunity. Is it possible to know, how many marshal's batons belonged to Count Moltke the Elder, according to information from this book?

Hello Alexander; three

his original baton, presented on the day of his promotion (16 June 1871)

A "Jubilee" baton presented to him by Kaiser Wilhelm II on his 90th birthday (26 October 1890)

A "Command" baton presented to him by the city of Köln also on the occasion of his 90th birthday.

Regards
Glenn

Hello Alexander; three

his original baton, presented on the day of his promotion (16 June 1871)

A "Jubilee" baton presented to him by Kaiser Wilhelm II on his 90th birthday (26 October 1890)

A "Command" baton presented to him by the city of Köln also on the occasion of his 90th birthday.

Regards
Glenn
Thank You very much for the great information!
Thus it turns out that Moltke's third marshal's baton is on display at The State Historical Museum.
With the date 10/26/1890 on the bottom part and with the coat of arms of the city of Cologne.
Interesting where did the other two go?...

Regards, Alexander.

Attachments

• Moltke's baton_.jpg
    Moltke's baton_.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Moltke's baton_9.jpg
    Moltke's baton_9.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Moltke's baton_8.jpg
    Moltke's baton_8.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Moltke's baton_7.jpg
    Moltke's baton_7.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • Moltke's baton_6.jpg
    Moltke's baton_6.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Moltke's baton_5.jpg
    Moltke's baton_5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Moltke's baton_4.jpg
    Moltke's baton_4.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Moltke's baton_3.jpg
    Moltke's baton_3.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Moltke's baton_2.jpg
    Moltke's baton_2.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Moltke's baton_1.jpg
    Moltke's baton_1.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 11
Thank You very much for the great information!
Thus it turns out that Moltke's third marshal's baton is on display at The State Historical Museum.
With the date 10/26/1890 on the bottom part and with the coat of arms of the city of Cologne.
Interesting where did the other two go?...

Regards, Alexander.
Great photos
Thanks for the post
Steve

This one I cannot explain! From the Royal collection, a fine portrait of Generalfeldmarschall Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preußen. He is depicted with two stars in the normal configuration plus marshals' batons. A mistake on the part of the artist or perhaps a quirk of the Prince?

Regards
Glenn

Friedrich Karl.JPG

This one I cannot explain! From the Royal collection, a fine portrait of Generalfeldmarschall Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preußen. He is depicted with two stars in the normal configuration plus marshals' batons. A mistake on the part of the artist or perhaps a quirk of the Prince?

Regards
Glenn

View attachment 30562
If I'm not wrong this means he was breveted to Generalfeldmarschall. So the crossed batons with two rank stars. However not really matching to his career?

Ah, thats the problem with this picture; Prinz Friedrich Karl was not a brevet Generalfeldmarschall but was promoted from General der Kavallerie to the substantive rank of Generalfeldmarschall. Secondly, the brevet field marshal wore the rank stars horizontally, i.e. either side of the batons and not above and below.

Regards
Glenn

Back