Hobby Room (photos added 12/16)

poniatowski

Since Adler shared his bunker, this is what we call our 'hobby room'.

100_3119.jpg

This is the main display case. I lucked out in that ALL of the glass shelving was free from a store going out of business.

100_2635.jpg

Some officer's and other helmets.

100_2645.jpg

A couple of steel helmets. The M18 was taken in North Africa by a friend's father and the SS at Niemagen.

100_2634.jpg

A separate case has my GdK a Kurassier M15 and a French Chausseir that was cut in half... I spent a couple of months restoring it.

100_2641.jpg

The other side of the display case has tanker helmets such as these two US Infantry Tanker helmets, one by Rawlings, the dark green one on the right is one of two remaining Sears Saddlery manufactured infantry tanker helmets known to exist.

:D Ron

Here's more:

100_2620.jpg

Some art work, an Irish police helmet, photos, the ID plate off of my M1IP Abrams tank...

100_2644.jpg

An M15 awarded to Mrs. A.S. Hudson, Frio County Liberty Loan. Kind of a fun helmet.

100_2643.jpg

Part of my limited uniform collection.

100_3731.jpg

These helmets are in the front room, there's now an acrylic 'glass' in front of them to keep the dust and curious fingers off.

Not the greatest collection in the world, but then, I like it.

That's a very fine collection Ron! Also the display is very good and the US stuff also looks great! =D>

Adler 1

Really terrific Ron, congratulations. You have excellent and varied taste, and the display techniques are super. One of these days I will post photos of ours, but my display room normally looks as if a grenade has gone off inside....oh well.

Larry

Thanks all for the kind words!

There are also shelves for steel helmets opposite the display case, but these are mostly common, or my own service helmets... WWI to modern; a mix of ground troops, flak helmets and tanker helmets.. as well as some civilian. (not to mention all of the 'extras' in boxes in the garage)

I did dust the shelf with the Generals' and Bavarian officer helmets before putting in the protective glass :p Funny how a flash will always show you what you've forgotten to do.

I really do have to re-do my wants list and stick to it, like Tony does.

Larmo said:
Really terrific Ron, congratulations. You have excellent and varied taste, and the display techniques are super. One of these days I will post photos of ours, but my display room normally looks as if a grenade has gone off inside....oh well.

Larry

Oh believe me, mine does as well. Photo cropping is a great thing! I'm just a cluttered person.

There are two things I really love–while a lot of them–the little cards, I need to do something like that–you have much more than I do but still there are some little cards that would be good.

Also the M 15 that was awarded! That is precious! If you ever decide to part with that one let me know. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

Thanks again!

Joe, that M15 came up on ebay when I was in Iraq and I didn't want to get outbid, so ended up paying almost double the price of a normal one at that time (I think it was $400 or so), but I think the inscription makes it worth it.
I contacted Frio County (Texas) and they have no record of Mrs. A. S. Hudson, which is sad. You'd think she would be remembered by somebody, since she was evidently active in the community in the early 1900's.
Maybe I should try again, since data bases get updated once in a while.

Found him (Her Mrs.) Aubrey S. Hudson. Some new cemetary information. Now to dig further. (no pun intended)

I did dust the shelf with the Generals' and Bavarian officer helmets before putting in the protective glass Funny how a flash will always show you what you've forgotten to do.

Pard, I don't believe any of us even noticed....we're all to busy looking at all of the cool stuff. Hey, after all..it's a military collectors room (at least that's what I tell Terri).

Larry

Tony without Kaiser said:
Very nice Ron. You have every right to be very proud. Could you show some more photos of the Garde Tschako?

Certainly! Give me a bit of time to do some scanning (Monday or Tuesday).

Here are some pix that were requested. Sorry, Tony, I didn't upload the front 3/4 view, but I think you can figure it out. The Shako is unmarked except for the maker mark (I didn't see any on the liner either). Bought this one around 1983 or so at the Badger Military show from a friend. I think the field badge is a repro, but really don't know how to tell an original from a repro.

100_6743.jpg

100_6744.jpg

100_6742.jpg

100_6743A.jpg

100_6745.jpg

100_6748.jpg

Hope this helps!

Here are some of the French Chaussier (spelling?) Anyhoo, like I said, this was found cut in half and I just joined it together. I'm sure the red plume is wrong, but it looks nice.. I really don't know much about these helmets.

JN10147.jpg

JN10146.jpg

100_6710.jpg

100_6730.jpg

100_6731.jpg

You can see the silver solder seam on this photo.

Hope that helps as well. It was fun to bring it 'back to life'.

Back