The Hessen Family of Helmets and Their Characteristics

RJR254 Filz
front.jpg

Great helme R1 reminds me of of my JR116 helmet which I shall post a pic of shortly.

A couple of pics of my Hessen Reserve Officer helme:
IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Note the Officer Landes kokarde is brass with red paint

Some pics of my JR116 helme. Obviously a pre 1891 helme that was equipped with the new M91 side posts. I love these older helmets with the higher domes and heavier gauge of leather. In general, they seem to survive the passage of time in better condition. This helmet was purchased from a Butterfield & Butterfield Auction in San Fran years ago in the 90,s. Some of you older collectors may have bid on items from that fabulous collection of Napoleonic, and Imperial German items. I know Randy and Tony C. did. Chin strap is obviously a repro. Spike top does not unscrew.
Pictures of my JR 116 helme reposted January 2020:
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG

Given this huge collection of JR 115 helmets–does anyone have a unit mark I can put into the listing?

We do not have one.

Here's another IR115 for your review gentlemen...
More pictures here: http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adler

Wow!! That is just fantastic. It does not get any better than that set. May I ask how one obtains matching items like those? Brian

Brian, usually it takes a lot of luck to be on the right place at the right moment... To have good connections helps also a lot I guess...

Adler

Super helmets Rurik. I love the chinscales on the ORs helme. Wish mine had come with those!

Great helmets. Thanks to all of you. Yes, Rurik, we should meet, but not at Kube's auction this week-end.
Here is a regular Hessian infantry officer helmet (note the rare Haarbusch). A particularity though: the spike is the thickest I have ever seen on a hessian officer helmet...
Picture728.jpg

Picture742.jpg

I was hoping that you would post that group shot again 911, very nice indeed. Very few collectors would have such a grouping of 115s, excellent.

And a lateral view of the Hessian Train helmet (TB25) I recently found and showed on the forum. It is obviously a pre-1891 model that was revamped. Compare with Brian's JR116 helmet above.
Picture548.jpg

Back