The Hessen Family of Helmets and Their Characteristics

A lot of great hessian helmets gentlemen!
Here's another little group I already showed, but of which I think they also will be appreciated in this thread...

Adler

A note.... To anyone who has previously posted pics of Hessen hauben please, if you are able post again here on this sticky thread which is dedicated to this family of helmets. Unfortunately, our tech Mr. Incredible is unable to move posts around from thread to thread. It makes it more convenient and interesting if we concentrate the Hessens here. Thanks again to 911 and Adler for doing so. B

And here's another Hessian: IR115 for Fähnrich...
For more details look here: http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 3413#33413

Adler

Hi Adler, beautiful helmet, beautiful frosting on that wappen. I am wondering if those scales and fittings are German silver due to the darkening of the metal? My Oldenburg dragoon officer helmets' spike is stamped 08 under the spike base and it tarnishes very quickly. I have only polished it once when I first got it.
Does anyone out there have a leather M15 from JR115 or the other Hessen Regts, ? I guess I could post my Hessen M15 with round spike base again, but I feel guilty as I have not fixed the depressed top of the shell as yet. We have seen some great filz helmes so bring on the M15s!

Wow JR92...I asked for some M15s and you really hit me with your best shot. Excellent!! Thank you. Are there regimenrtal markings on any of your helmets so that we can know where they came from? That is a fantastic collection. This thread has been very productive...its like mining for gold! These helmets are so rare. However, still no M15 from JR115 mit bandeau. I wonder if such a helmet exists?? Brian

still no M15 from JR115 mit bandeau. I wonder if such a helmet exists??

I think "not" !

Like for GR 109.

One of my Ml 15 has inside a label with 115 marking.

May be other photos this everning.

Woohoo... M15's a gogo! Now I definately have to go and hunt for those beauties!

I am wondering if those scales and fittings are German silver due to the darkening of the metal?
I got this helmet in this state, but I think I'll leave it this way...

Adler

Hello
Here is my contribution about 115 helmet anatomy
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3218&highlight=
Regard

Update: When I bought this trichter I wasn't sure if it was correct for my helmet having never seen one. Now I'm pretty sure it's correct. The EM trichters were not fluted like the officer versions.

Also... Does anybody know who bought the Hessian IR115 pickelhaube shell from Advance Guard Militaria? I was bummed to have missed that as it would have greatly simplified my restoration project. I might have some parts to help with the restoration of that helmet.

Mark D.

Hessian_wT3QtrL.jpg

Here's Opa. This is the one our friend found for us in Frankfurt, from a man who cleaned out apartments for a living.

Guys, I took a bunch of photos of him thinking that since he is an early example some details of his make up might be interesting. The second photo from last shows what appears to be a Hessen pattern screwnut placed next to what I call the standard stirrup nut typically seen on early pattern pickelhauben. I do not know if this is so, but none of our other early man helmets use these attachments, and these are the only style found on this particular helmet. My photo skills are still in the developmental stage regarding the image of the visor trim, the makers name is Jaeger.

Larry

opa1.jpg
opa2y.jpg

opa3.jpg
opa8.jpg

opa7.jpg
opa9.jpg

opa6.jpg
opa4m.jpg

These are some of the images of the IR115 helmet which we purchased this summer which we posted here previously. The additional images are some of the after photos showing the addition of the (new) base rivets and the gentle repair of the chinstrap. As of this time I have not given it a cleaning beyond a wipe down with a clean cotton shop rag.

Many thanks to Mark D and Cameron for providing me with the silver base rivets, the other bits are still in the gotta-find stage.

Larry

hes1.jpg
1hess.jpg
hes2.jpg

hes10.jpg
hes9.jpg
hes8.jpg

Hi Larry,

It's looking good. Almost there!

The chinstrap is interesting, unusual.

Are you going to clean and polish it or leave it be?

Cheers,

Mark D.

Hi Mark

Probably, but only a very light one. As others have suggested the "ghost wappen" would be a good thing to preserve.

As to the chinstrap, it is interesting, but IMO likely not original to the helmet as the fittings are of gilded brass. It was the one on the helmet at the time of our purchase however.

Larry

Right... I didn't notice that.

I've got half the chinstrap hardware you need, but that's like having half a canoe; it's not going to get you very far unless you've got the other half.

Cheers,

Mark

Larmo said:
Hi Mark

Probably, but only a very light one. As others have suggested the "ghost wappen" would be a good thing to preserve.

As to the chinstrap, it is interesting, but IMO likely not original to the helmet as the fittings are of gilded brass. It was the one on the helmet at the time of our purchase however.

Larry

Some 117 ?

and a landwehr with its cover again LJR118

:)

2 * 115 °

the "grey" one is a 1895 silver fitting pattern, reissued to an artillerie unit, they just changed the spike for a ball and they "painted" grey the silver fittings.... that comes from an attic in Burgundy, funny isn't it ? :D

So many splendid helmets on this thread !!!!! :eek:

Hessen Leibgarde Inf. Rgt. 115
mod. 5.12.1871

h1.jpg

Hessen Leibgarde Inf. Rgt.115
mod. 1897 until november 1897

h2.jpg

Hessen Leibgarde Inf. rgt.115 reserve
mod. after november 1897

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

Back