The Kaiser’s Prize (Kaiserschiessabzeichen)

Steve, that is incredible - great collection!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Thank you and best regards, Jens

p.s.: I return you PM and send you a download-link for the magazins! Have fun! ;)

Jens ;
Have you ever seen in person an officer shooting coed for the 1 Garde Regt zu Fuss ?
Steve
... no - I never seen one - only on pictures!

You see this wonderful Schiesspreis-Schild for the Kompanieführer (IR97): auction-link
picture1
picture2

picture3
Picture4

... and: Inf.-Rgt. Nr.65 : PictureLink
... and KJR145: Link

Attachments

• SchuetzenschnurUhrSchiessMedaille.jpg
    SchuetzenschnurUhrSchiessMedaille.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Jens:

Many thanks for those wonderful pictures of the Schiesspreis-Schild! I've never seen a picture of the real thing, only those grainy black and white pictures in photocopies.

That would be the highlight of any Shooting Collection, well, maybe the bust of the Kaiser!

Cheers:

Steve

Jens ;
Did you win any of them ?
Do you remember what they sold for ?
Thanks
Again a great post !
Steve

That would be the highlight of any Shooting Collection, well, maybe the bust of the Kaiser!
Cheers:
Steve
Steve, that's for sure! ;)

Jens ;
Did you win any of them ?
Do you remember what they sold for ?
Thanks
Again a great post !
Steve
Steve, no - I heard from the auction month later! :censored: And it was sold im Sept. 2017 for 2.200 $ (+ fees).:oops:
> an other Schild (1897, Feld-Art.-Rgt.8, Hpt. Wilh. Sievert) was sold in Oct. 2012 for 3.200 $ (+ fees).
> and Schild (1897, Feld-Art.-Rgt. Nr.1, Hpt. Dyckerhoff) was sold in Jan. 2018 on Ebay - I think for 3.000 $ (or more - here I'm not sure).

Silberschild Inf.-Rgt.Nr.17 (1910): picture
And here a Link to a Württemberger Silberschild (1905 - IR126): auction
Picture1

Picture2
(I do not know how much they were sold for!)
🍺 Cheers Jens
🍺

(Picture: 1903 10. Kp. Gren.-Rgt. Nr.2 - Kompanie-Chef: Hauptmann Feodor Ernst Joachim Wilhelm von Puttkammer)

Attachments

• PuttkammerChefschnur01.jpg
    PuttkammerChefschnur01.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 19
  • PuttkammerChefschnur02.jpg
    PuttkammerChefschnur02.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PuttkammerChefschnur03.jpg
    PuttkammerChefschnur03.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Jens ;
More great information
This is a veterans meeting ?
Is he not wearing the cord on the wrong side ?

I wish that I had known about A. Thies a little sooner
I saw and talked with him at our S O S 2022 a few days ago
I could ask him about the shields
if he knows of any others
Thanks
Steve

This is a veterans meeting ?
Steve, maybe - a veteran flag consecration ceremony (in the late twenties)? Backsides are empty!

Is he not wearing the cord on the wrong side ?
...only Mannschaft & NCO's wearing the Chefschnur on the right side, for officiers on the left side is correct,
see Bekleidungsverordnung: I. Für Hauptleute. B. Sitz und Abmesung: Das Abzeichen wird an der linken Brustseite getragen ...
clothing regulation: I. For captains: B. place and dimension: the badge is worn on the left chest ...
And you see, he is wearing the ("extra") long cord for the company commander/leader (Kompanieführer & Hauptmann).
;) Best regards, Jens

Attachments

• DVE317_Kaiserschießpreis.jpg
    DVE317_Kaiserschießpreis.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
New information .
I just heard from my collector friend reference Naval Kaiser Prizes .
Ever since I became interested in the Kaiser prizes I have wondered
if there was a way to tell Naval from Artillery
Here is what my collector friend was able to answer
in words and photos
The collection is from my friend
His K P Naval collection
K indicates Kiel/Naval Base Baltic Sea

W indicates Wilhelmshaven/Naval Base North Atlantic

The backside marking makes the difference from Heer Artillerie. They all came from an old pure Navy collection!
The stamping is on the fabric on the backside of the K P
It also appears that all the back plates are oval and almost round
SteveNavy K P front.jpegNavy K P back.jpeg

Steve:

Now that's interesting.

I've never seen a round/oval backing plate on any prize. My data shows that there were a total of 121 Kaiser's Artillery Prizes awarded to Field and Foot Artillery and 62 Naval Artillery Prizes awarded which makes naval prizes twice as scarce as Artillery awards. So not surprising that they don't show up as often.

I was expecting that being naval, a brass backing plate would have been used.

Good information to have.

Thanks for sharing!

This outstanding thread keeps getting better and better.

My habit if I do not have anything to contribute, is to make no comment, however, I do have two excellent articles (parts 1 and 2) on Kaisereabzeichens by Bernd Wedeking and Markus Bodeux from 20+ years ago. Unfortunately I only have scans and do not know what publication they were in or when. I scanned them as straight as possible as a .pdf so text could hopefully be copied and plugged into a translator. I cannot attach the files here so I uploaded both articles to my website. Hopefully anyone interested in Kaiserliche Marine Kaisereabzeichens can download them.

Steve (here in Canada), all ships except raiders in the Kaiserliche Marine were designed and constructed for combat. The crews lived off ship so the short dark blue dress jackets were not taken aboard. For example in the Hochseeflotte (High Seas Fleet) all ships on active duty were stationed in Wilhelmshaven or Kiel. The ship designs sacrificed living quarters for armour which was a unpleasant surprise to the British Grand Fleet at Jutland. This is the basic explanation why you can easily find the short dress jackets but the dark blue jumpers are near impossible to find.

Last edited:
My habit if I do not have anything to contribute is to make no comment, however, I do have two excellent articles (parts 1 and 2) on Kaisereabzeichens by Bernd Wedeking and Markus Bodeux from 20+ years ago. Unfortunately I only have scans and do not know what publication they were in or when.
Hi Tony, here is the source* to the magazines.
Thank you and best regards, Jens

* Bernd Wedeking & Markus Bodeux: "Die Verleihung des Kaiserabzeichens in der Kaiserlichen Marine", Orden und Ehrenzeichen - Vereinsmagazin des Bundes Deutscher Ordenssammler, Teil 1 im Heft 5 (Febr.) 2000 - Seite 25 ff. und Teil 2 im Heft 6 (April) 2000 - Seite 27 ff..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have completed my purchase of the Naval Kaiser Prize collection
Thanks to Wilhelm S. I now know how to tell the difference
between the Heer Artillery prizes and the Naval
1. The back plates are different .They are oval shaped .
2. Some have fabric backers with ink stamps ." K "
( for Naval Base Keil ) followed by the month day and year
Two of the ones that I bought in an Artillery Kaiser Prize
group turned out to be Naval Prizes
These IMO are very rare
SteveNaval Kaiser Prizes.JPGNaval with 3 years.JPGNaval 1914 CEJ.JPGNaval backs.JPGNaval backs with dates.JPGNavy.JPG

I have completed my purchase of the Naval Kaiser Prize collection
Thanks to Wilhelm S. I now know how to tell the difference
between the Heer Artillery prizes and the Naval
1. The back plates are different .They are oval shaped .
2. Some have fabric backers with ink stamps ." K "
( for Naval Base Keil ) followed by the month day and year
Two of the ones that I bought in an Artillery Kaiser Prize
group turned out to be Naval Prizes
These IMO are very rare
SteveView attachment 21244View attachment 21245View attachment 21246View attachment 21247View attachment 21248View attachment 21249

Back