More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

As per member's requests, we are introducing a new subsection on Dragoon helmets.

Moderators: b.loree, joerookery

Post Reply
User avatar
b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Ontario CN

More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by b.loree » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:25 pm

More examples from Steve's SOS 2020 haul:
Baden D R.JPG
Baden D R a.JPG
Baden Dragoner
D R 24.JPG
DR 24
D R 24 a.JPG
D R 25 Feldgrau.JPG
DR 25 Model 1915
D R 25 a.JPG
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 am

Wonderful haul.

Just a question on DR25 Wurttemberg, shouldn't the removable spike have the pearlring(not the officer type) near the throat?

KAGGR#1
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by KAGGR#1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:38 am

To be honest Feldgrau is not my cup of tea .I do not own many .
My collection is mostly pre war .When it comes to Feldgrau I don't
think everything is by the regulations .I n some cases I would guess
that they used what they had .I think the helmet is dated 1916
I will re look .For example we know that Kurassiere helmets took
the large kokards but how many had we seen with small kokards
I have seen so few Wurttemberg Dragoon Feldgrau e m helmets
I have nothing to go by
What is your reference ? I will look it up
Steve McFarland

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:26 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply as Singapore govt has not ordered to shut any schools so my care centre has to continue to operate.

I refer to Col Joe Robinson's site and he has couple of M15 dragoon with the removable spikes and they all have the small pearlring at the base of the removable spike.

Here's the pic - Sorry Joe, I didn't ask you for permission to copy the pics here.
Attachments
dragoon m15.jpg
dragoon m15 4.jpg
dragoon m15 3.jpg
dragoon m15 2.jpg

KAGGR#1
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by KAGGR#1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks .Maybe my D R has the wrong spike ?
or late issue they used what they had .
thanks for the info
the idea of finding a spike like that I don't think is too good
so after 50 years of collecting I learn a new lesson every day
Steve McFarland

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:49 pm

Steve, I recently acquired the dragoon M15 which has no Spike and that's why I did the research ams realised that the spike had to be removable with the pearls at the throat.

I don't think it's easy to find the spike but time will tell.

Good luck to us both to look for the same spike.

It's really rare to find a M15 wurttemberg cavalry. Well done!

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles USA

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by 911car » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:52 pm

Amybellars wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:49 pm
Steve, I recently acquired the dragoon M15 which has no Spike and that's why I did the research ams realised that the spike had to be removable with the pearls at the throat.

I don't think it's easy to find the spike but time will tell.

Good luck to us both to look for the same spike.

It's really rare to find a M15 wurttemberg cavalry. Well done!
There was one for sale on ebay lately. Average condition, dirty and partly oxydised, but untouched, with a DR marking and in a way attractive. The typical, real "attic find". No spike though. Otherwise I might have gone after it.

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles USA

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by 911car » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:53 pm

Here is one more:
L1050513_zpslq3do7e2.jpg

User avatar
verdun16
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by verdun16 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:34 am

thanks for showing us these rare pickel.
verdun16

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:24 am

Bruno, you have very nice helmet and always makes me jealous.

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:25 am

911car wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:52 pm
Amybellars wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:49 pm
Steve, I recently acquired the dragoon M15 which has no Spike and that's why I did the research ams realised that the spike had to be removable with the pearls at the throat.

I don't think it's easy to find the spike but time will tell.

Good luck to us both to look for the same spike.

It's really rare to find a M15 wurttemberg cavalry. Well done!
There was one for sale on ebay lately. Average condition, dirty and partly oxydised, but untouched, with a DR marking and in a way attractive. The typical, real "attic find". No spike though. Otherwise I might have gone after it.
A wurttemberg one or prussian one??

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles USA

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by 911car » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Prussian, Amy.
Thank you for your nice comments.

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:55 am

I think you are referring to this one. I bought it from EBAY last month. The front and rear visors were dislodged and they were made of cardboard and I spent a while stitching them back together. The liner is period. It did not have any spike, I don't have the correct spike for it so I put on an M15 spike for the time being.
Attachments
dragoon prussian m15.jpg

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles USA

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by 911car » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:04 am

This is it, Amy. I am glad you won the auction. It is a good one; Dragoner M15s are rare birds. What is the marking? DR7? DR8?
I wish you can find a spike with Perlring.

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:40 pm

:) Thank you Bruno. I don't remember reading the part that says it has markings and I couldn't seeing DR7 or DR8 on it. It has another set of markings which I have no clue what it is.
There are extra holes that were there and other than that, liner is supple, visors have been stitched up. So not bad and you can't reject a rare bird.
Attachments
20200407_091155_resized.jpg
20200407_091144_resized.jpg
20200407_091116_resized.jpg
20200407_091016_resized.jpg

User avatar
coert65
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by coert65 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 pm

Nice helmet Amy!

B.I.A VII stands for Bekleidungs Instandsetzungs Amt VII, the repairdepot were it was probable redone, the F stands for Feldmassig, good to be used in the field.

Greetings, Coert. :thumb up:

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles USA

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by 911car » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:15 am

Amy, look at the left part of the rear bill. I had the impression that 7D could be made out, in whitish colour.
I may be completely wrong...
20200407_091155_resized.jpg

ww1czechlegion
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by ww1czechlegion » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:40 pm

So Amy was the one who had the winning bid on that M15 Prussian dragoon helmet from eBay a while back. Congratulations Amy! I saw that it had very thin cardboard/ersatz visors on it from the auction photos.

We all missed out on a super rare M15 Dragoon enlisted spike that sold on eBay when we were at the SOS on February 23rd. I tried to get the seller to take it off the helmet and sell it separately, but he wouldn't do that. The spike was on a "beater" Prussian e.m. M15 helmet with a missing liner, repro kokardes and repro chinstrap. Some lucky soul won the auction for $330. They probably wanted the helmet just for the rare spike, and rightly so if they did. Whoever got it probably isn't a forum member here, and most likely among the countless numbers of unknown silent "closet collectors" out there.

I'll post some photos of the spike and helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan
dragoon spike 1.jpg
dragoon spike 2.jpg
dragoon spike 4.jpg
dragoon spike 6.jpg
dragoon spike 5.jpg

ww1czechlegion
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by ww1czechlegion » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Fantastic Helmets Steve! :bravo: =D>

It was great to see you again at the SOS, and to be able to see some of these fine helmets in person! :thumb up:

Best Wishes,

Alan

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:49 am

911car wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:15 am
Amy, look at the left part of the rear bill. I had the impression that 7D could be made out, in whitish colour.
I may be completely wrong...

20200407_091155_resized.jpg
Bruno,
You have a pair of very sharp eyes and yes indeed it is 7D and size 57.

I must go and train up my eyesight but I realised that as i age, my eyesight really goes, sad but true. But there again, maybe eyesight long gone when I chose my husband for love is blind [-o< :lol:

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:52 am

ww1czechlegion wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:40 pm
So Amy was the one who had the winning bid on that M15 Prussian dragoon helmet from eBay a while back. Congratulations Amy! I saw that it had very thin cardboard/ersatz visors on it from the auction photos.

We all missed out on a super rare M15 Dragoon enlisted spike that sold on eBay when we were at the SOS on February 23rd. I tried to get the seller to take it off the helmet and sell it separately, but he wouldn't do that. The spike was on a "beater" Prussian e.m. M15 helmet with a missing liner, repro kokardes and repro chinstrap. Some lucky soul won the auction for $330. They probably wanted the helmet just for the rare spike, and rightly so if they did. Whoever got it probably isn't a forum member here, and most likely among the countless numbers of unknown silent "closet collectors" out there.

I'll post some photos of the spike and helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan

dragoon spike 1.jpg

dragoon spike 2.jpg

dragoon spike 4.jpg

dragoon spike 6.jpg

dragoon spike 5.jpg
Yap, won the Dragoon - thanks Alan.

I did see that helmet with the "rare spike" but didn't pay much attention then. Sigh, I should have but there again we always regret some of our stupid mistakes. :)

User avatar
Amybellars
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by Amybellars » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:54 am

coert65 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 pm
Nice helmet Amy!

B.I.A VII stands for Bekleidungs Instandsetzungs Amt VII, the repairdepot were it was probable redone, the F stands for Feldmassig, good to be used in the field.

Greetings, Coert. :thumb up:
Coert,

Thank you for the information.

Very useful research info. =D> =D>

User avatar
pickelhauben
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor
Posts: 820
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Post by pickelhauben » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:24 am

ww1czechlegion wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:40 pm
So Amy was the one who had the winning bid on that M15 Prussian dragoon helmet from eBay a while back. Congratulations Amy! I saw that it had very thin cardboard/ersatz visors on it from the auction photos.

We all missed out on a super rare M15 Dragoon enlisted spike that sold on eBay when we were at the SOS on February 23rd. I tried to get the seller to take it off the helmet and sell it separately, but he wouldn't do that. The spike was on a "beater" Prussian e.m. M15 helmet with a missing liner, repro kokardes and repro chinstrap. Some lucky soul won the auction for $330. They probably wanted the helmet just for the rare spike, and rightly so if they did. Whoever got it probably isn't a forum member here, and most likely among the countless numbers of unknown silent "closet collectors" out there.

I'll post some photos of the spike and helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan

dragoon spike 1.jpg

dragoon spike 2.jpg

dragoon spike 4.jpg

dragoon spike 6.jpg

dragoon spike 5.jpg
I posted this same helmet with spike on the e-bay sales section.

Post Reply