Open season on identification

Joe,

I can't make out the cap badge, but it has the shape of a veteran's association pin. My guess is that these fellows are from such a group or perhaps a postwar para-military group (Einwohnerwehr, etc.).

Chip

Thanks Chip! If you cannot crack it definitively nobody can. Now I just have to keep looking for those pins.

Great picture! And a date! It is time for Robert to solve this. Okay all you Bavarian types and knowledgeable people what in the heck is this?? Bread and sausage, rifles and equipment… Really unusual hat badge.??

I have no idea about the crosses. But the fact that they pose in civil cloths, with a few mixed rifles evidently picked together and placing the few military items they have as well visible in the front as possible would indicate to me that they are more like a home defense, showing off a bit. They look like students to me.

No idea which unit in Bavaria these guys are however, you have to admit that the second guy from the right in the front looks like he comes from the third Soviet shock Army! Some of these guys have very nice ties…

Greetings Joe,

HR17 but who?

That is the then Major Arthur v. Arnstedt, Regimental Commander of Husaren-Regiment Nr. 17.

Regards
Glenn

arnstedt.jpg

Thank you Glenn! This really was a stumper and it is very interesting to see his Asian connection. This will set me off on another tangent. Thanks again.

Joe,

here is an earlier image of Major v. Arnstedt as a Major and squadron commander of 5./Husaren-Regiment Nr. 11 around 1893. Interestlingly, his award of the neck order of a Rechts-Ritter of the Johanniter-Orden never appears to be published, just the award of an Ehren-Ritter.

Regards
Glenn

arnstedt3.jpg

Back