The Hessen Family of Helmets and Their Characteristics

Hello,
i'm very kind of hessian helmets...my little contribution...
DR 23 or 24

question: How recognize good other rank hessian cocarde ????
thanks
PPPARA

pppara said:
question: How recognize good other rank hessian cocarde ????

Your helmet and cocarde is for a officer, any picture of the inside liner? Was this the one on Ebay a couple weeks ago? if so, you lucky dog! :D

this is a good typical Hessen EM cocarde, one of mine...
hessem.jpg

Hello,
Yes, the helmet was on ebay mid of december...
I know it's an officer helmet, my question was about EM hessian helmets. How recognize good or fake EM hessian cocardes?
Thanks for your interest....
Pppara

Hey guy's,

I have a question about an M15 Hessian which is for sale here on the forum.
I would like to buy it, but the pranging question is, it has a normal M15 spike, and not the fluted one I see on other Hessian M15's I found.
Is it correct for a late M15 Hessian infantry to have the regular spike? :-k It was re-issued so it may be correct but have to know for sure.
Too bad almost every picture in this thread is gone..

Thanks in advance for any comments on it in advance!

Coert. :thumb up:

Yes Coert, on period pictures you frequently see M15 Hessian helmets with regular Prussian spikes, even sometimes on round (not cruciform) bases. Therefore it is legit. On the helmet for sale on the forum there is a perfect color match between the spike and the other metal fittings.
This being said, for me the attraction of the Hessian helmet is the emblem and fluted spike, therefore I would prefer to wait for a 100% Hessian configuration. But this is only my opinion and, once again, the one for sale here by Timp be is very nice and genuine.

Bruno said it all :wink:

This helmet is one of the best example of the BJA´s work during the war, because of lack of material. It is beautifully marked BJA XVIII and that is correct for Hesse-Darmstadt.
It has been assembled and reconditioned with parts from different other helmets to go back to the front line on the head of a new recruit (letter "f" = feldbrauchbar).I think that the round stamp is dated 1916 and not 1918.
We can easily see the traces of the old seam behind the M91 side posts and how the initial rear trim was fixed on the shell, a little bit higher.

The old holes of the first emblem (maybe an eagle) have been refilled as it should be, not a new work.

In conclusion, that is an authentic and very honest war time helmet that has seen the fire. Not a beauty that is respecting the before-war regulations, but it smells like the real history!

Philippe
:wink:

Thanks Bruno and Philippe!

I saw everything you meantioned too, the finish is perfect on all fittings to this helmet, they match.
Meaning it seems they all are from the same time. Also saw the double holes, but to me it seemed perfectly good, and correct.
Thank you for getting my doubts out of the way, Timp be also sent me a review on this helmet that said exactly the same as you both did.
This M15 will get me back to collecting haubes again after some serious mishaps in life. :)

Thanks for your comments on this helmet guy's! :thumb up:

Greetings, Coert. :)

I forgot to say that Michel (Timp be) is an honest guy :thumb up: Youn can trust him!

I bought a haube recently from him on a french forum and all was perfect \:D/

Philippe
:wink:

Thank you Philippe!

I just sent Michel the money asked for this nice helmet. And sent him some PM's which I hope he will get.
They seem to be lingering in my outbox. But it will be okay.
I was watching this helmet for a while now, just couldn't resist it.
Yours, and Bruno's input made me buy this nice M15, thank you for that input.
I am back on track now! :)

Have a nice evening! Greetings from the Netherlands, Coert :thumb up:

Is this configuration possibly correct - Hessian M15 infantry helmet with a round base? It is marked to the correct army group: BAR18 and wappen hole spacing seems correct for a Hessian helmet plate. The wappen is missing an attachment loop on the back and I know this can be evidence of monkeying, but the hole seems to line up where the missing loop would have been.

I can't figure out how to post photos of the piece, but maybe that's not necessary to get my question answered.

-Mark

Yes Mark, this is legit, as discussed in some recent posts. Some M15 Hessen helmets have been manufactured with round spike bases.
Hope this finds you well!
Bruno

I have a round spike base Hessen M15 in my collection. There are no extra wappen holes and the M15 Hesse wappen is complete. This version is legitimate and even has the correct BA markings. Here are the pictures (January 2020).
hessen1.jpg
hessen3.jpg
hessen5.jpg
hessen7.jpg
hessen9.jpg
As can be seen the helmet is equipped with brass M91 side posts. The top of the shell was pushed in but this has now been fixed. These photos were taken when the piece was first purchased from The Collectors Guild. I was visiting Tony at the time and he fortunately arranged a personal tour from the owner Peter W. I spied this on a shelf and immediately requested the price and made an offer.

Back