New Bavarian OYV or NCO Helmet

Post your latest treasure.

Moderator: b.loree

Steglitz

New Bavarian OYV or NCO Helmet

Post by Steglitz » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Finally have a Bavarian helmet in my collection which felt necessary due to my family's Munich and Hallertau roots.

Missing the cruciform plate and silk liner, but still very happy with this helmet. Helmet has some cursive that I am having trouble reading as well.

I may be interested in adding a repro trichter and plume in the future if anyone knows some good manufacturers.

This will likely be the last addition to my collection for a while unless if something else goes to free up space.

JohnM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Bavarian OYV or NCO Helmet

Post by JohnM » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Very nice addition to your collection! You might want hold off on the Trichter as you might be spending money on something that might not fit.

John

argonne
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by argonne » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 am

As this is an officer helmet, the EM cockades are wrong here...

Does the spike unscrew in two parts? It could then be a M15 officer Haube and that would explain the M91 side posts and the leather chinstrap.

Philippe
:wink:
http://www.dekokopf.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-------------------------
"Laechle und sei froh, denn es koennte schlimmer kommen!" - Und ich lächelte und war froh - Und es kam schlimmer..."

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by 911car » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:01 am

argonne wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 am
As this is an officer helmet, the EM cockades are wrong here...

Does the spike unscrew in two parts? It could then be a M15 officer Haube and that would explain the M91 side posts and the leather chinstrap.

Philippe
:wink:
I was going to ask the same question: why OYV/NCO? This looks like a wartime officer helmet (missing the Perlring). It even seems to be written inside...

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:50 pm

The Reservist wappen/helmet plate is totally officer as all 3 crowns are voided. Bavarian officers usually have 3 stars plus a small flat head brad which fits under the largest crown. Yours is missing that small brad. Wartime wappen often have split prongs soldered to the back rather than the usual screw posts and nuts, so check that.The spike top should unscrew as you can see the screw post in the interior photo thus, it is not an M15 style officer as was suggested above.
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...