Large Baden M15

Before and after pictures of restoration projects

Moderator: b.loree

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Large Baden M15

Post by b.loree » Mon May 18, 2020 3:11 pm

I bought this helmet off a US dealer after we got home from Fla. I have never seen such a large M15 (58 cm) in all my years of collecting/restoring. If anyone else has an 58 cm M15 please post some photos. Both visors needed a restitch on the piece.
Hilde went a bit off course with the sewing machine here...never seen this before either! :)
The wappen wedges have never been removed on this clearly marked 58.
Ready for stitching. You can see how large the visors are and the grey front trim.
Rear visor pinned.
An inside view....a very prickly situation! :-?
Front visor done...Hilde's misstep can clearly be seen. :( Still, I am glad that quality control did not reject this helmet!
The front trim was put in place then the end holes were punched in. The "punched" metal helped lock the trim to the tips of the visor.
Rear spine with stamped markings number 1 and FK. Rarely are these spines size stamped and I have never seen a #1 before nor with any initials. I have seen spines marked 2,3 and these were on smaller helmets.
Rear visor finished. Note the original finish under the spine while the rest of the helmet shows 100+ years of exposure.
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...

Sandmann
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Re: Large Baden M15

Post by Sandmann » Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 am

Looks great Brian, well done :bravo:
Best wishes, Sandy

aicusv
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by aicusv » Tue May 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks for posting, particularly the spine markings. I'm still collecting info on spine sizes. I don't have enough data to make a from conclusion about their system. I have in my collection a size 60, 2 size 59, and 2 size 58.
fezzes frigidus es

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Tue May 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Aicusv, thanks for the information on larger helmets in your collection. Regarding spines, I am going to post this spine picture and 2 other comparisons in our thread about spine sizing. I have #’s 2,3,5 and this #1 for comparison. I remove lots of spines, I would say that less than 5% are size stamped if that. I did encounter one recently where the lower tang was number stamped ie. the one which curves under the visor edge. I will try and track down that photo.

aicusv
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by aicusv » Wed May 20, 2020 1:21 pm

I've found the stamp on either the upper tang or lower tang. Numbers I've recorded so far are: 1 (yours),2,3,4, and 7 . The 7 was on a size 61 fiber M'15 helmet and located on the lower tang. This one threw me a curve ball (American Baseball expression, meaning not going as expected). Until that showed up I was beginning to think the lower the number the bigger the helmet size. Basically I thought it was something like this; 1=XXL, 2=XL, 3= L, 4=M, and so on
)
fezzes frigidus es

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Wed May 20, 2020 4:34 pm

I have just created a new bookmarked thread on this rather obscure subject. :D

kaiser
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by kaiser » Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm

It just amaizes me how you can make sutch a end result on those old and fragile helmets i have started a project but somehow ended it halve way and for some reason i cant find the guts and patience to go on with it .think i am afraid doing more wrong than good on it so i set it aside to another try comes along

USN

Post by USN » Fri May 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Im sure you can do a good job on it! What seems to be the concerning next step?

aicusv
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by aicusv » Sat May 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Kaiser, just keep at it and don't rush. Took me 4 months to restitch a rear visor. Of course I only work on helmets that no matter what I do can't make it worse.
Last edited by aicusv on Fri May 29, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fezzes frigidus es

coert65
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by coert65 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Well, I just bought 2 Sachsen helmets, an M95, and an M15. The M15 is absolutely huge compared to my other helmets.
And I thought the Baden M15 I have was large.. But the strange thing is, it is size marked 57,5. I never saw markings in that way, alway's 52, 53, 54,
but never in halfs.

I just got them in, so have no pictures yet, (they arrived 1 hour ago) but I will be posting the marking here, and the helmet itself in the new addition section here on the forum.

Greetings, Coert. :)

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Thu May 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Hey Coert congrats, I have seen half sizes on officer helmets and OR's. They are rare but they do exist.