CRUSHED !!!

Before and after pictures of restoration projects

Moderator: b.loree

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

CRUSHED !!!

Post by b.loree » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:22 pm

Here are some photos of a damaged helmet sent to me by the Heritage Arsenal a military museum consultancy organization based in Colorado. This officer haube was crushed in transit by a moving company :( . This is the worst case I have ever seen! Here are the "before pictures":
It does not get much worse but we shall see what can be done.
The only original parts on this haube are the wappen,sspike, rear spine and visor trim. Everything else is reproduction, even the original wappen had modern screws soldered to it so that new nuts would screw on.
Both visors have been stitched on using modern thread and they skipped many holes so that we have huge stitches as seen here. :thumbsdown: They even left the knotted end thread on the outside of the shell.
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...

ebeeby
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Re: CRUSHED !!!

Post by ebeeby » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Can't wait to see the "after" photos and the results of your magic!

Sandmann
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by Sandmann » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Not a little project...I wish you every success and looking forward to see the result :)
Best wishes, Sandy

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 am

The crushed top has now been put back into correct position using the method previously described. There was some finish loss in the creased areas but this will be filled in using the 1876 formula.
All stitch holes have been cleaned out and I am just waiting for a sunny day to begin stitching :) You can not beat natural light when stitching.
The amateur attempt at restitching was a complete mess! No surprise, there is also glue residue present.

ebeeby
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by ebeeby » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Looking forward to more progress photos especially on correcting the finish damage.
I have a little Saxon helmet here which is a testament to your stitching prowess!

Eric

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:00 pm

I remember that helmet well Eric, a very unique piece, one of a kind! :D The 1876 formula works well but has the consistency of water , it will fill in a bit ie. cover the missing finish but it is impossible to get rid of those dents caused by the creases in the shell...at least with my skills.