Question on Value of a Lance

Anything that goes "Bang" or has a blade.

Moderator: b.loree

keoki7
Contributor
Contributor

Question on Value of a Lance

Post by keoki7 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:14 pm

What is the value estimate of an Imperial issue lance with the original shoulder sling? The only marking on it is the weapon number on the spike point.
Geo

ottodog8
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question on Value of a Lance

Post by ottodog8 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Are you sure it's Imperial German? I have never seen an issued Imperial German weapon of any kind without at least inspector's stamps. I have seen exactly one genuine Imperial German lance, it was marked with the maker's name, proofed and dated, just like every other Imperial German issue edged weapon. It was priced at $1200 or so a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly, it may have had unit markings as well. I almost pulled the trigger on it just because I had never seen one. I've seen lots of German made South American contract pieces though. In the end, I couldn't overcome my distaste for horses, so I passed on it.
Steve
Up the targe then to shield fair Scotland!
Pride of Wallace take the fore!
Up the claymore! Up the standard!
The Pretender will come nae more.

J.LeBrasseur

Post by J.LeBrasseur » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:48 pm

George and pictures? I agree the few "real ones" I have seen, have lots of markings..

James
J.LeBrasseur

keoki7
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keoki7 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:37 pm

It's a real one. I have had two and seen a few more. The only lances I've ever seen with makers marks were Argentine exports all Weyersberg marked.
James send me an email and I'll forward photos. [email protected]
Geo

J.LeBrasseur

Post by J.LeBrasseur » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:32 pm

George- I know of one dealer that has the tip and grip and butt parts for sale, Price is $350 missing the lance. if that helps?

Sent you a PM

james
J.LeBrasseur

Chip Minx
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by Chip Minx » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I own an issue lance and it is well marked. There are no maker marks, but there is the normal Prussian crown "W" with two digit date below, as on a bayonet. It is also unit marked to an Ulan regiment and has inspector stamps in multiple places. I have a private purchase Lanzriemen on it and an issue Prussian NCO lance pennant. The Lanzriemen are particularly hard to get. The only issue one I have ever seen came up for auction on German Ebay last month.

Chip
Guy A. Turner, Master Signal Electrician, Company C, 314.Field Signal Batl., 89th Div. St.Mihiel, Meuse Argonne, Defensive Sector.
1894-1981. My grandfather.