Expensive Reproductions at Auction?

This section is devoted to the steel helmets worn by the Kürassier and Jäger zu Pferde regiments prior to and during WW1

Moderators: b.loree, joerookery

Nacuaa
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Expensive Reproductions at Auction?

Post by Nacuaa » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:44 am

Does anyone have any insights as to why these helmets sold for nearly $1500.00? The Saxon helmet still appears on Ebay for around $100.00. Is there some chance that the Garde du Corps helmet is real.

http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/lot/254 ... ef=catalog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter_Suciu

Re: Expensive Reproductions at Auction?

Post by Peter_Suciu » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:52 pm

It only takes two interested parties to really drive up the prices at an auction. I've scored some fantastic deals in these type of auctions, but I've been outbid on items I thought should go really cheap too!

I did actually win two helmets at last week's Morphy's Auctions. In the case of the two helmets you mentioned, I think it was just a case of bidders getting caught up at the moment.

Nacuaa
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Post by Nacuaa » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Thank you, I think that makes sense in this case.

poniatowski
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by poniatowski » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Here's another...

http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/lot/254 ... ef=catalog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D Ron
I really do need to know more about this....

skelts1974
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skelts1974 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Morphy's auctions seem to have a mix of great militaria and outright fake rubbish. I recently brought two French cuirasses from them at a great price. Unfortunately I also brought one of their 'reproduction' helmets which was a mix of original French parts and absolute rubbish reproduction parts. Seems to be a case of hit and miss with this company.

Nacuaa
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Post by Nacuaa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 pm

I entirely agree. I purchased a helmet last year from them that turned out to be a mix of parts. This year I bid on an 1843/53 Kurassier helmet in relic condition missing plate, chin scale, and liner that was listed with three costume pieces and an Austrian police shako. Incredibly the lot went for over $1800. If I had bid I would be looking at over $2000.00 What appeared to be an 1842 leather helmet korpus turns out to be made entirely of plastic complete with stitching according to the buyer who is now offering it on Ebay for $44.00.