Ersatz Bing Bros.

Ersatz Felt/Filz Pickelhauben

Moderators: b.loree, joerookery

Steve Nick
Contributor
Contributor

Ersatz Bing Bros.

Post by Steve Nick » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Here is a Pickelhaube I've had for many years and one I've chosen to hold onto throughout the down-sizing of my collection. It's not particularly rare but it's a nice example of the early efforts to fabricate Pickelhaubes with materials other than leather.

It is marked (stencil painted) to the 21st Bavarian Infantry Regiment (“Grand Duke Friedrich Franz von Mecklenburg-Schwerin”) The helmet is marked 1915 and was made by Bing Brothers of Nuremburg, a well established and popular toy manufacturer, under a contract let in October 1914.

The design was meant to replicate as far as practical, an 1895 pattern helmet while making use of tin as a base material. Consequently, in addition to there being no interior spike base reinforcing plate, the rear reinforcing spine was eliminated. All stitching operations required to secure the front and rear visors as well as the attachment of the liner were eliminated. The liner installation was accomplished by adding eight split pins.

The Bavarian NCO kokarde I think would have been added in the field. Unlike leather issue helmets there is felt material inside the liner band. The Wappen is secured with two split pins passed through rectangular slots.

The spike base is secured with four split pins although there is no interior spike base reinforcing plate as found in leather helmets.

The rear visor is trimmed with a metal band unlike leather helmets, probably as a means of finishing what would otherwise have been a raw metal edge.

For some reason I’ve never figured out, this helmet like many other war souvenir helmets seems to have been left lying around when someone was painting and the resultant white over-spray is all over the inside of the helmet.

Hope you find this of interest.
Attachments
DSC_1306 Re-Sized.jpg
DSC_1305 Re-Sized.jpg
DSC_1300 Re-Sized.jpg
DSC_1295 Re-Sized.jpg
DSC_1291 Re-Sized.jpg

J.LeBrasseur

Re: Ersatz Bing Bros.

Post by J.LeBrasseur » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Great example, and one I would hang onto as well, mine is not as nice as yours:)

cool Helmet

James
J.LeBrasseur

Francobritishcollect
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Francobritishcollect » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 am

A nice one 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I have been looking for one of those in good condition for a while. The search is still going....

There are quite a few around but very often quite badly battered, with parts missing.

Best

Steve Nick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steve Nick » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:08 am

Thanks.

I had another Ersatz tin helmet that was also in very good shape. Not made by Bing and with a Prussian Line plate on it. All black with the exception of the Wappen. No idea who it was made by. I let it go during the "downsizing".

I figured if I was only going to keep one example of the use of tin as an Ersatz solution to increasing helmet production this one was the one to keep.

Cheers:

Steve

aicusv
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by aicusv » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Did some of these "Tin" helmets have black painted spikes? Years ago I had one with a bayonet type spike painted black. I passed it on because of the spike.
fezzes frigidus es

Steve Nick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steve Nick » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Yes it had a black spike.

The Prussian example I referred to was entirely black with the exception of the Wappen and the M91 posts. No rear spine The Spike wasn't removable.